We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breadsall Priory for Diamond Anniversary meal?

Burton Upon Trent UK
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Breadsall Priory for Diamond Anniversary meal?

Hi Guys, Was wondering if anyone had eaten at Breadsall Priory lately, Never have myself but it's my parents 60th wedding anniversary soon and was wondering if that would be a nice place to take them, went to Morley Hayes on their Golden anniv so don't want to go there again, just want something a bit special anywhere sort of 10 miles or so from Derby would be fine. Ask me for a pub meal no problem but upmarket, only a rareity not very often investigated. Regards JD:)

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breadsall Priory for Diamond Anniversary meal?

I'll ask around about the Breadsall Priory although if I lived in Burton I wouldn't need to drive further than than Dovecliff Hall in Rolleston for very good food in lovely surroundings.

derby, england
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Breadsall Priory for Diamond Anniversary meal?

breadsall is very nice, nice views and good food also Makeney Hall is nice for food and will get back to you with a few more if i can

Burton Upon Trent UK
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Breadsall Priory for Diamond Anniversary meal?

Hi Dave, we just thought of the travelling bit here, parents live 10 miles North of Derby so trying to cut out the backwards/forwards bit out. But yes great suggestion, forgot about that one anyway, must nip and have a looksee, never been there myself. rgds JD:)

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Breadsall Priory for Diamond Anniversary meal?

Hi Jessiedawg

I ate at Breadsall end of last year, only had a lunchtime snack but still very nice and very filling. It's a lovely venue and the surroundings are very grand, probably be just perfect for a 60th wedding anniversary.

There are also a couple of new restaurants in Derby. Masa on Brook Street and Limes on Friar Gate. Both upmarket places, but Limes is in the city centre, there's no parking but there's a car park directly opposite.

Masa is in an old Wesleyan Chapel and has two AA rosettes for their food and has very good reviews. The interior looks spectacular too.

Hope your parents enjoy their day.

Coltic

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breadsall Priory for Diamond Anniversary meal?

My source has nothing on the Breadsall Priory so please rely on others posting here.

Looking at the Inside Pages I would rate Callow Hall near Ashbourne, The Plough at Hathersage, Hassop Hall, and Darleys in Darley Abbey as in the bracket you are looking at. My favourite in town is Zest but I would go out of town for such an event personally. You might also consider the Black Swan at Idridgehay, this is closer to your 10 mile target. I've eaten there once and it had good ideas but is perhaps a bit "modern" - it depends what food you are looking for.

Last time I ate at Makeney Hall it was a bit disappointing but to be fair there were 15 in the party which can have an effect.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
470 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breadsall Priory for Diamond Anniversary meal?

Riber Hall is also worth a look - expensive but stunning food and superb setiing.

Breadsall Priory is ok - but isn't quite in the same bracket as Hassop, Riber etc

Burton Upon Trent UK
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Breadsall Priory for Diamond Anniversary meal?

You know this is why TA is so good, even as a Derby born and bred lad you just forget these places, many thanks guys some great ideas there, just what we wanted, thats this weekend planned then, touring round and checking them out!! Once again thanks for the input I'll let you know where we ended up. JD:)

Burton Upon Trent UK
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Breadsall Priory for Diamond Anniversary meal?

Hi all, Just a quick heads up on this one. Parents being parents they decided on a change of plan and said we'll come over and stay with you, and we don't want too fancy. No problem except for the time and fuel used checking the above out, all visited looked very nice by the way. So we ended up in Barton under Needwood at a newly built and recently opened "Waterfront" at the Barton Marina, as it happens it was all very nice, lovely setting right by the Marina, a very good meal for the money was had and good service, food was above average quality but not exactly A la carte, a nice halfway house from the pub style, helpful right down to organising our own cake. This place might be a little out of Derby but right by the A38, come spring when the weather picks up, given the nice strolls around the lakes, nice countryside the new craft shops and restaraunts down there it will be a busy area and great for sitting out on the huge deck on a summers evening looking at water and boats, nice. Thanks again for all your info. JD:)

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breadsall Priory for Diamond Anniversary meal?

Most of all thank you for giving feedback, saying where you went and enabling us all to learn !

10. Re: Breadsall Priory for Diamond Anniversary meal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 05:45
Get answers to your questions about Derby
Recent Conversations