We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good food / Nice resturant / Reasonable prices...

Which Derby hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Good food / Nice resturant / Reasonable prices...

Hi,

We're coming up to Derby in August for a hen weekend and on the Friday we arrive, it's one of the girls 30th birthday so i'm looking for a place to eat a late lunch 3pm+ ish. As it's a special birthday I was wondering if there were any nicer places - but nothing too expeinsive. Just to enjoy nice food and maybe some champange!

Any suggestions welcome.

Barbie

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good food / Nice resturant / Reasonable prices...

Have you picked a hotel?

If so we could advise on somewhere not too far away.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good food / Nice resturant / Reasonable prices...

Thinking this through for a 3 pm lunch you are probably looking a the all day chains of pub/restaurants like the Mallard Beefeater, Mundy Arms, Seven Wells at Etwall and further out the Hanging Gate at Shottle. Most of these have some outdoor seating. I suggest that you check the cooking hours before travelling, you probably won't need to book.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good food / Nice resturant / Reasonable prices...

Thanks for the reply.

We're staying at the Travelodge but happy to travel into town, etc.

I've had a little look on the internet and see that some of the nice restaurants stop lunch early so am thinking it might be best to head into the town centre and find a trendy bar/restaurant which serves all day.

Any nice trendy bar/restaurants to reccommend which are more local to Derby? i.e. not chain pubs like Slug & Lettuce etc that we can get down here.

Thanks!

Barbie

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good food / Nice resturant / Reasonable prices...

The Trip Advisor pins for about half the Derby hotels are misplaced, including the Travelodge which is about 1/4 mile from its TA pin next to Sainsbury's and a pub whose food was not brilliant the last time I tried it some 6 years ago. The Mallard beefeater is about 1/4 mile away but will not have the atmosphere of city bars.

You can drive into town or walk 5 minutes to Uttoxeter Road for a frequent bus service. Parking is increasingly expensive with meters on most streets. The best multistorey is called Parksafe on Bold Lane which is expensive but has unique security system.

The best area for your search would be Friargate or Saddlergate both near the city end of Uttoxeter Road. You might also try Haus on The Wardwick nearby.

North Midlands...
Level Contributor
110 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good food / Nice resturant / Reasonable prices...

I think the Haus is either closed or closed for renovations!

If you want town in the Friargate area you could go to La Tasca for Spanish Tapas - yes it is a chain but has a wide choice and lovely seating area both inside and outside - this is situated on Friargate, also on Friargate there is Graze which is lovely but will only be open evenings I think . THere is also Fat Cat wich do 'ladies nights' in the week,meal deals for 3 courses and wine! if you rang them I'm sure they might do you a special deal. Additionally there is Limes and Masa (Masa certainly do lunches - and very good ones and have their own website) this is in addition to Pitcher & Piano, Zizzi and Pierre Victoire.

Out of town Mickleover (a short taxi ride or drive from your hotel) has The Nags head - recently refurbed with an outdoor area or Butlers Pantry (you will need to book as its small but the food is divine!!!)

Have a great time

Thira

UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good food / Nice resturant / Reasonable prices...

What type of cuisine are you looking for?

7. Re: Good food / Nice resturant / Reasonable prices...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 11:23