We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attractions & overnight stays in Deryshire

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Attractions & overnight stays in Deryshire

Hi,

We are looking for a couple of places to visit next week and one thought is Derbyshire.

We are looking for attractions to visit during the day and then staying one or two nights nearby.Don't mind whether a hotel or country pub but must have a bar (that we can take our 14yr old into at night) and parking.We like having a walk out to explore the area as well.

Any suggestions very welcome :-)

Essex
Level Contributor
27,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attractions & overnight stays in Deryshire

PLENTY of attractions in Derbyshire, what sort of thing would you like??

With a 14'er you might enjoy the Tramway Museum at Crich, the various show caves around Buxton, or Castleton, or perhaps 'stately homes' are you thing, in which case, Chatsworth is No.1, but Haddon Hall nearby is very 'romantic', there is Kedelston Hall, Hardwick Hall, Tissington Hall....

Then you have some fantastic walking, or if you like the idea of being at the seaside, but no-where near the sea, then Matlock Bath is a don't miss place, with the Heights of Abraham for some nice 'pleasure gardens' with more show caves and 'stuff' to do, accessed by a Cable Car that goes across the Derwent Valley.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attractions & overnight stays in Deryshire

Thanks for the ideas EssexWanderer

I will have a look at them all later.

We have enjoyed a visit to Chatsworth House in the past and did consider this again. We only had half a day there last time as we ended up there after getting lost on our way to somewhere else!!!

We like going to those sort of stately homes so will be interesting looking through your suggestions.

The Tramway museum sounds good,especially for our son.

Thanks again.......I have been looking into various hotels in the area all day (No housework done yet..ooops!)

I'll let you know what we decide on and if it turned into a good break.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attractions & overnight stays in Deryshire

If you are planning your visit over a week-end you might want to visit Matlock Bath on a Sunday, this is prime 'motorbike' day (terrible for parking though) and there will be many bikes along the 'promenade' that 14 might like to admire!

Accommodation is a little more difficult for me to recommend, I have not really stayed anywhere there except for 'my own home' which in fact was in Nott's at the time. Still easy to explore the area though.

Hopefully you will get some good suggestions from locals on pubs that are friendly to teens though.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attractions & overnight stays in Deryshire

Carsington Reservoir has some water pursuits.

Wirksworth has the National Stone Cemtre with tours inside the mine, I believe. http://www.nationalstonecentre.org.uk/

Essex
Level Contributor
27,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attractions & overnight stays in Deryshire

On thinking about it, it is a while since I have been up there, but I HAVE stayed at a couple of pubs that you could look at, here is one, if I think of any others, I will post back

- The Yew Tree at Ednaston is pretty decent:

http://www.yew-tree-inn.co.uk/

I have once or twice stayed at the Ibis Hotel in Chesterfield, which is walkable distance to some OK pubs and restaurants, and well sited for Chatsworth, Belper, Buxton and Hardwick Hall. (Hardwick inn is worth a visit for decent food and ale too).

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attractions & overnight stays in Deryshire

Thanks for suggestions - After 2 whole days of enquiries,The only accommodation that I have been able to find with family rooms has got extortionate prices.

I didn't realise that Matlock Bath existed - thanks for pointing that out.We have been to a few resorts with Bikers Events and it has always made for a great atmosphere.

I think we will be saving Derbyshire for our next short break and book well in advance to get better deals on hotels.

The Yew Tree at Ednaston looks nice on the photo but their website is still under construction at the moment so can't see much detail yet.

Thanks -We have passed through Ashbourne on way to Wirksworth and is certainly an idea for a stay.

Big Dave - We went to Wirksworth years ago to 'Malt Shovel' pub , but didn't venture into the town itself. That's another one on my list to visit for a weekend break! (My dad had met the landlord of the Malt Shovel in Spain,whilst on holiday, and he told him to pop over to see him for a drink sometime. We drove 37 miles each way for a drink there,only to find it was his day off!! LOL) Lovely countryside around there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attractions & overnight stays in Deryshire

One place that is reasonable and has family rooms (double bed + pull-out bed for your son) is the Castle Inn in Castleton. It's an Innkeeper's Lodge (book through their website) which is basic, decent accommodation at motel prices (£60-£70 or so a room per night)

I stayed there a lot 3 years ago whilst working between Manchester and Sheffield, as I am a hill-walking addict, and liked it a lot. The people are friendly, the pub is old and historic/homely, and there is (limited) parking. Castleton itself is a fantastic village to stay in as it's where the big show caves are, plus Peveril Castle etc

The Castle has rooms both in the old pub building (tend to be quirky and oddly shaped) and in a more modern block outside (more identikit but more spacious). The same chain also offers rooms at Fox House on the moor between Hathersage and Sheffield, and these are pretty good too

There are also a couple of places in Hathersage (another lovely village/small town that's well situated) that offer rooms at lowish prices - the Scotsman's Pack and there's a Best Western hotel there too

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attractions & overnight stays in Deryshire

NB There's tons of walking from both the Castle (any combination of walks in the valley, Cave Dale, or up to Mam Tor if you're fit) and the Fox House (right next door to the NT Longshaw estate, plus walks and fantastic views to/from Higger Tor/Carl Wark and Stanage Edge)

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attractions & overnight stays in Deryshire

Thanks pintpot,

I did look at the Innkeepers Lodge but their rules say that under 18's aren't allowed in the bar areas at all. That's a shame as a work colleague has recommended them as being good as well. A lot cheaper than what I have been quoted by other places (£204 for 1 night B & B in a small Inn by Chatsworth and £1095 for 3 nights B&B in one Yorkshire hotel!!!)

We need to find somewhere which allows our 14 yr old into the bar with us for at least part of the night.

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.....Got them all printed off now to ponder over (along with the piles of brochures & leaflets for Derbyshire/Yorkshire/Peak District that I got from our local Tourist Info Office yesterday)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attractions & overnight stays in Deryshire

Really? I'm very surprised by that. Both of them are pubs that families go to for meals, especially the Fox House as it's in the middle of nowhere. Id give them a ring if I were you to check (if you've already done so, apologies) because I can't see them having an issue except maybe after 9pm or so.

I'm 100% sure I've seen families with teenage kids in both places