We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gastropub or good restaurant in Morley or Derby?

Which Derby hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
216 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Gastropub or good restaurant in Morley or Derby?

We'll be visiting Chatsworth in Oct. but are staying at the Marriott Breadsall Priory down in Morley (village north of Derby). Can anyone recommend a good gastropub near Morley or even in a town between Chatsworth and Morley? Failing that, we'd be open to going into Derby for dinner. Thanks in advance.

Derby, United...
Destination Expert
for Derby
Level Contributor
470 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gastropub or good restaurant in Morley or Derby?

I would google Morley Hayes if I were you.

Hotel, golf and two restaurants just up the road from Breadsall.

Roosters bar is nice and informal but good food at sensible prices. Or, you could go into the Dovecote restaurant which is pretty classy and top quality.

Nearest decent pub would be the Rose and Crown which is a couple of miles away on the Derby - Heanor road. Good food in a cozy atmosphere..

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gastropub or good restaurant in Morley or Derby?

The Fox and Hounds at Coxbench is quite good, about 5 miles from Morley on the Chatsworth side, close to the B6179 and A38.

On route I would suggest the Devonshire Arms at Beeley, right on your route near Chatsworth, and the Bear near Belper - a bit hard to find. The Red Lion at Birchover also looked good but I haven't eaten there.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
216 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gastropub or good restaurant in Morley or Derby?

Hi - I really appreciate the responses so far.

Unfortunately the Fox + Hounds in Coxbench closes at 5 pm on Sunday and is closed all day on Monday because it otherwise would have been a great choice. I've confirmed with the Devonshire Arms in Beeley that they are open for dinner on Sunday and Monday evening. The menu looks good and from the photos, it appears to have a good atmosphere so we'll be going there one evening.

4. Re: Gastropub or good restaurant in Morley or Derby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Derby
Recent Conversations