We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cathedral Quarter Hotel

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Cathedral Quarter Hotel

Staying here next month on an offer & read very mixed reviews. We have £40 to spend in either bar, restaurant or spa but of course there are no prices or menus on the website & we have to decide which one thing we are spending the money on at the same time as booking the room. Read through a lot of reviews & picked up that drinks are expensive, although they do a 241 on cocktails at £8 for 2, meals in the restaurant are small portions & to avoid the lamb as it sounds like its usually undercooked & no idea of prices in the spa. Has anyone stayed recently & used any of the facilities?

Thanks.

Derby Cathedral
Architectural Buildings, Churches & Cathedrals
All Saints Church
Cemeteries, Churches & Cathedrals
Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cathedral Quarter Hotel

Being local, I haven't stayed but have been in, I liked the grandeur, the menu was quite expensive. I suggest you allocate the spend to the subject that most interested you in the hotel offer.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cathedral Quarter Hotel

Thanks Dave - we decided to spend it in the restaurant as fancied a bit of "fine dining". Got the hotel to email me the menu & it sounds lovely so hopefully we have made the right decision...... Unfortunately there is no mention of happy hour in the cocktail bar so that must have finished :(( Do you know of any nice bars we can visit nearby to have drinks before our meal? Don't think we will be having wine with dinner as it starts at £16.50 & that's just the house wine........

Edited: 01 July 2012, 17:18
3. Re: Cathedral Quarter Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 06:53
Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cathedral Quarter Hotel

For Nice Bars I would go down St Mary's Gate and either left into Sadler Gate or round the left of the Bold Lane car park onto Friar Gate. There is a variety of standards and prices to suit all tastes.

Derby, United...
Destination Expert
for Derby
Level Contributor
532 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cathedral Quarter Hotel

The hotel is on St Mary's Gate.

At the top, across the road is a nice wine bar Red Zebra, or Derby's oldest pub Ye Olde Dolphin.

Right at the top of St Mary's Gate and you are on Irongate where there are several pubs.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cathedral Quarter Hotel

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. As the weather is so awful we are no longer planning walks in the Peak District so I think some time may be spent in the Westfield shopping area....... :)

We do have Chatsworth House & Kedleston Hall down as places to visit - are there any places of interest actually in Derby? I notice there is a

Cathedral near the hotel....

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cathedral Quarter Hotel

The museum has a 'branch' called Pickford's House which is a 1770 century town house with contemporary fittings. You may be able to get on a ghost walk.

8. Re: Cathedral Quarter Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 00:17