We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

birmingham to derby

loughrea
2 posts
Save Topic
birmingham to derby

hi, i'm looking for the best way and least expensive to get from birmingham airport to the jurys inn in derby. i am arriving at night and will have a child with me and am afraid of too much nighttime public travel. any suggestions? thanks

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: birmingham to derby

I think that at that time of day you will have to use the train and change at Brmingham New Street Station - what time are you landing and on what day ?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,660 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: birmingham to derby

If you are afraid of public transport, then perhaps you would be best booking a car service, or taking a taxi.

HOWEVER you have not said what time you come in to land and in the UK currently, hours of darkness are anywhere from around 4.30pm to 7.30am....

loughrea
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: birmingham to derby

Hi, thanks for responding. i land around 9pm on a thursday night. do trains run all night?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,759 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: birmingham to derby

No, the trains don't run all night, but on a Thursday the last train you can catch from Birmingham International is at 22.34, arriving at Birmingham New Street at 22.45. The connection for Derby leaves at 23.09* and arrives at 23.55.

Before that, the 21.38 from Birmingham International connects at Birmingham New Street with the 22.03 to Derby.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: birmingham to derby

A pre-booked car from Birmingham Airport to Derby would cost about £60.

A taxi from Derby train station to the Jury's Inn is less than £10.

National Express run a coach, change in Birmingham, but the last one leaves at about 6 pm (£9).

Would it work to switch the hotel booking to Birmingham (Central or near Airport) and complete the journey on the Friday morning?

cork ireland
Level Contributor
141 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: birmingham to derby

We have a similar problem Going to a Wedding in May and staying in Hallmark hotel Midland rd which i believe is near to the train station. There are 9 of us 4 adults and 5 children ages from 4 to 12. We will be arriving in Birmingham airport from Ireland at 16,50 .. If flight is on time?

Could anyone suggest the best form of transport for us . If train can we book on line before we go and how much time would we need to leave airport and pick up train. Thank you

Edited: 04 February 2013, 14:49
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: birmingham to derby

You can book online - yes. The trains leaving Birmingham International at xx38 are the ones that have cheap fares. Getting the 1738 might be dodgy - the 1838 safe enough

There are several additional trains an hour but they don't have cheaper fares and can be booked on the spot

Edited: 04 February 2013, 15:43
cork ireland
Level Contributor
141 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: birmingham to derby

Is there an address on line on which to book the 18.38 train. Sorry I know you have several different firms running your trains. In Ireland we have only the one IARNOD EIREANN (Irish Rail) Thanks for your help

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: birmingham to derby

You can book train in the UK on several website such as www.nationalrail.co.uk or thetrainline.com prices should be the same. The tickets can be posted or you can collect from a machine at the station. The fare is about £15/adult single.

For taxi prices you could check the address in my reply to your post on the Derby Forum. A prebooked taxi with driver from Birmingham Airport to Derby is £60 at bulk rates, a people carrier would hold all of you for say £90-£100,

10. Re: birmingham to derby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 05:15