We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Days Inn Derby to Nottingham on Public Transport

Liverpool
Level Contributor
30 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Days Inn Derby to Nottingham on Public Transport

I am staying at Days Inn Derby but need to get to Nottingham. I'd prefer to use public transport so any suggestions as to the best (which probably means quickest) way to get there and back would be welcomed.

I need to be to Nottingham for just before 10.00 (and then will be making my way on to Trent Bridge for the Test Match) My return will be early evening after play finishes

I have looked at google maps to plot a walking route to the train station but there seems to be a lot of underpasses and main road to negotiate.

any help appreciated...thanks

Mentioned in this post
Derby
Derby
Derbyshire, UK
Nottingham
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,314 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Days Inn Derby to Nottingham on Public Transport

www.travelineeastmidlands.co.uk

Derby
Level Contributor
171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Days Inn Derby to Nottingham on Public Transport

The train will probably be your best option as although there are plenty of buses at this time of day it can take over an hour to do the short journey due to weight of traffic. It is a short walk from the railway station to Trent Bridge, but I am sure there will be plenty of people on your train making the same walk so you won't get lost!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
30 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Days Inn Derby to Nottingham on Public Transport

Thanks for those speedy replies folks

Liverpool
Level Contributor
30 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Days Inn Derby to Nottingham on Public Transport

The walk I refer to above was from the days inn to derby railway station, not the nottingham trent bridge walk.

looking at the google maps seems to be a rather circuitious route - its difficult to tell whether i can walk

along the eastgate road and use that to cross the river ? seems easy enough from there if thats the case.

Derby, United...
Destination Expert
for Derby
Level Contributor
542 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Days Inn Derby to Nottingham on Public Transport

There are two buses to Nottingham that go past the Days Inn. Well, just around the corner on Nottingham Road. If you search for Trent Barton buses and either the i4 or the Indigo will get you to Broadmarsh bus station in Nottingham in just over an hour. The i4 is the quicker of the two.

It isn't far to the train station in Derby from the Days Inn, but if you don't know the area it can appear to be a bit difficult by just going on Google maps. Turn left out of the Days Inn, and bear left at the Pentagon Island. Cross over Nottingham Road and follow the path round to the other side of the island heading in the direction of the ci centre. The path bears left past the bus depot, then you will see the Smithfield pub next to the river. Walk past it, and then cross over the river at the first bridge. The bear left and over the next bridge in front of you. You'll then have a road to your right, keep on this path and the station is about 200 yards to the centre right direction. All in all about a 15 minute walk from the Days Inn.

Whichever option you choose you will have a 15 minute walk in Nottm to Trent Bridge. I think though, there are some major works at Nottm station this summer with lots of train cancellations, so might want to research that before deciding what to do.

Mentioned in this post
Nottingham
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire, UK
Derby
Derby
Derbyshire, UK
Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Days Inn Derby to Nottingham on Public Transport

Can anyone confirm this route, I think I have walked it a few years ago?

From the Days Inn near the County Cricket ground, cross Sir Frank Whittle Way near the Pentagon roundabout, cut though the Car Sales forecourt and follow Nottingham Road towards the town centre. After about 100 metres there is a footbridge on the left side at the railway bridge. Take the footpath under the railway and come out on Meadow Road. Turn right onto another footpath along the roadside over the river. Turn right out of the park near the Cockpit roundabout and cross to the bus stations where buses are fast and frequent taking 25-40 minutes. The trains may be faster but you have an extra 10 minutes walk at both ends and a lower frequency.

Otherwise you can walk Nottingham Road, Derwent Street, Morledge.1.1 miles in 20 minutes according to Bing.

Can we help to direct you in Nottingham?

Mentioned in this post
Nottingham
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire, UK
Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Days Inn Derby to Nottingham on Public Transport

Nottingham Station is closed from July 20 to August 25. When is the Test Match?

Mentioned in this post
Nottingham
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire, UK
Derby
Level Contributor
171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Days Inn Derby to Nottingham on Public Transport

Nottingham station is closing after the test match has finished so train will be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Nottingham
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire, UK
Derby, United...
Destination Expert
for Derby
Level Contributor
542 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Days Inn Derby to Nottingham on Public Transport

Big Dave is right, cut through the side of the Vauxhall dealership, walk ahead 100m then go up onto the railway line. Go left and follow the line crossing over Eastgate. Drop down on the other side and head towards Meadow Road, following my earlier instructions.

Should save you five minutes.

The i4 bus would be my preferred choice though and there is one every 20 minutes.

Whichever you choose there is a decent walk in Nottingham, but at least in Derby you have a choice.

Mentioned in this post
Nottingham
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire, UK
Derby
Derby
Derbyshire, UK
Liverpool
Level Contributor
30 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Days Inn Derby to Nottingham on Public Transport

thanks again for the advice re walking to the railway station in derby , a bit of local knowledge always helps

Get answers to your questions about Derby
Recent Conversations