We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip in August prefer walking tours in country

Which Derby hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
trip in August prefer walking tours in country

Hello,

Am planning trip for late Aug will have 10 days, will be flying from US to London, then taking train to Darby haven't made air res (very soon). Want to either plan own walks (very fit 55 year old) or work with group. Do you have any recommendations? We hoped to avoid car rental due to cost and also driving on other side of roads. We do have relatives we will visit but will be getting our own accommodation.

Also we are museum art and history people but do want to emphasize physical activity. Thank you for your ideas.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: trip in August prefer walking tours in country

One other thing, if you are flying into London take a train to Chesterfield or possibly even Sheffield rather than Derby. All leave from St Pancras in London.

Ingleby Barwick
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: trip in August prefer walking tours in country

Hi

We have just returned from a 3 night stay in Bakewell,great little village with a good selection of old English pubs; to enjoy a drink and food in.Chatsworth hall is a great day out,also the grounds and surrounding area are worth exploring,our 2nd day was spent walking around Lathkill Dale,beautiful scenery and very friendly people along the walk.3rd day we walked the Monsal Trail,breathtaking and a must do trail If you are in that area.

I hope you enjoy your holiday as much as we have.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: trip in August prefer walking tours in country

If you haven't booked your train to Derby / hotel as yet, you might want to have a look at basing yourself in Buxton rather than Derby. Buxton is a lovely large town with lots of excellent walks in the local area. It has a train station - but isn't on the railway mainline from Derby. It is on the mainline from Sheffield and Stockport. Sheffield and Stockport are on the railway mainlines from London.

As others have said, Derby is a good city to visit but it is certianly not a major walking centre. As has been said, the best walking is in the Peak District. There is a limited bus service from Derby to the Peak District. Dates-wise, there will be a bank holiday on the 25th August 2014 and Derbyshire schools re-open on September 5th 2014

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: trip in August prefer walking tours in country

er...sorry Jackie but Buxton is not on the railway line from Sheffield - there is only one train service to Buxton and that runs from Stockport, Manchester, Preston and Blackpool.

However I agree that Derby is not the ideal place to stay for sightseeing, but I guess that it depends on where the OP's friends live.

P-t-B

Edited: 10 May 2014, 18:19
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: trip in August prefer walking tours in country

I see that you are an 'expert' so maybe you can help me with a question. What does 'er...sorry' mean at the start of a post? I am not familiar with such an opening in a response to an unknown person on a forum such as this one - when that unknown person is clearly trying to offer help to the original poster - but has made a mistake.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: trip in August prefer walking tours in country

I would say it doesn't mean anything Jackie and this is Phil's normal kindly style of writing.

17. Re: trip in August prefer walking tours in country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 14:15