We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Travel

Which Swindon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
10 posts
Save Topic
Help with Travel

Hi. :)

I'm travelling from Nottingham to Swindon at the end of May for a few days. I'm trying to find the cheapest way of getting there by train, as it's too far to drive (current petrol prices would just make it extortionate).

I'm being quoted prices over £200 for the trip and I was hoping someone may have some tips for me, as this is way more than I can afford.

I do have a friend who is a train driver and can get me an open return to London for £15 (which I will likely take him up on because all my options seem to have me changing trains at London anyway), but even the London-Swindon leg of the trip is being quoted at around £100 so I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing here.

Any help would be great. :)

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
300 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Travel

I had a quick look but it would depend on dates & times: you could go via Cheltenham Spa for £64.10 off peak returning within 1 month.

Use www.thetrainline.com

Edited: 04 May 2011, 10:29
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Travel

You don't need to go via London. Depending on the date/time you want to travel there are advance single fares of £21 available, going by Crosscountry and First Great Western and changing at Cheltenham Spa. With an advance ticket you would have to travel on specific trains.

http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Travel

Just who is quoting you those ridiculous prices? Unless you HAVE to travel peak hour in both directions you don't need to pay them. There are all sorts of cheaper ways of making your journey.

For example - London to Swindon is £39 walkon return if you choose the right trains. £11.50 each way on some advance booking services

Nottingham
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Travel

Hi.

Well I looked on my local train thing and that was quoting high prices. The Trainline site was also quoting stupidly high ones. I've looked on the Crosscountry and First Great Western sites and both are quoting me £86 for a single from where I actually live to Swindon with a change at St Pancras. I can't find any trains that offer to change me anywhere else.

The fact that everywhere I look is telling me I have to change at London is why I thought about taking advantage of a cheap London return and getting a London-Swindon ticket separately. I've been going to stations as well during the past week and seeing if they can offer me better prices there. At these prices I won't even be able to afford to visit my friend and she's coming from Canada. :(

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Travel

Just go to www.nationalrail.co.uk

I would be able to help more but you don't even name the dates you are going on! If you are travelling on a friday then it will cost more (just because it's a friday!)

So - when are you travelling? If I knew in advance when I was traveling I would have started to look for tickets several weeks ago!

P.S. I've just checked again - it's a lot cheaper if you go via Birmingham or Cheltenham!!

Edited: 14 May 2011, 04:36
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Travel

Are you by any chance hoping to travel on Saturday May 28th? I had a look on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ and there is some engineering work at Tamworth planned for that day so you would have to travel via Leicester instead and change there to get to Birmingham. For that day the ticketing sites do appear to offer only routes via London St. Pancras priced at £86 (except for one leaving about 6.30pm).

Any of the ticketing sites will find the cheaper fares via Leicester and Birmingham for that day if you search for a ticket from Nottingham to Cheltenham Spa, then another ticket from Cheltenham Spa to Swindon. The price will still be about £21 each way in total.

Nottingham
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Travel

I originally didn't know exactly when I was travelling, only that it was that last weekend in May. I now know that I can either go on 27th or 28th, and will be returning the following Wednesday (June 1). I WAS searching for travel on that saturday (28th), so that's probably why everything wanted me to change at London and I couldn't get the option of a change at Cheltenham. I'm going to look again now for the Friday and see if I can get that option. If not it's probably the £39 return from London and my driver friend getting me the £15 return to London from here. :)

Nottingham
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Travel

Thanks for the help guys. I got my trains sorted for a decent price.

You even helped my friend - she wanted to fly to Swindon from Amsterdam but has had to fly in to Heathrow instead, and your information has helped me to sort out her travel up to Swindon and back again too! :D

9. Re: Help with Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 11:15