We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what would you do?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
what would you do?

I have tried to book at a local but well respected pub restaurant today and as I'm out of the country I used their on line contact link. I got back an email with an MS Word booking form which include a requirement for my full credit card details including security code. I emailed back requesting a secure option and the guy said I could give them over the phone. Would you really do that?

I booked Michel Roux's 3 Michelin star restaurant without leaving anything more than my name and phone number. I am astonished that people would really give out their details to a pub by email.

I am interested in your views and as you can probably tell, I'm a little upset as the booking was a surprise for hubby and my not happen now.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: what would you do?

You could visit them when you return and give the details personally? Or no time for that

I would prefer not to give those details in an e-mail - fax would be better, or phone? Two separate e-mails would be very slightly better. Or a scanned attachment. Depends what you've got access to

But the worry isn't really sending them, but how they are stored when they get there. A lot of small businesses have really no idea on security.

Thr risk isn't THAT high though

Edited: 27 February 2013, 07:24
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what would you do?

quite odd they want credit card details!

here in Aus that might be done on a holiday weekend but not on a normal trading day

I have phoned my credit card details through to places & been ok but this situation - my gut says don't do it

have you got a friend at home that might be willing to help you to plan the surprise - even if they just try calling to book the table for you?

Edited: 27 February 2013, 08:23
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what would you do?

All a Restaurant should ask of you when making a reservation, is your contact telephone number.

The restaurant in question is asking for credit card details, in case of a no show, to make a charge against the CC, avoid that pub restaurant, as they appear to be lacking in customer service.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what would you do?

Hi there

Walk away from this place, they have no reason to want these details unless they intened charging you for a no show if you booked with them. I've never, ever handed those details out to any place when I've rung to book a table.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what would you do?

I agree with GB. I have never been asked for all that info just to book a table. Give your business to somewhere else.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what would you do?

I emailed back requesting a secure option and the guy said I could give them over the phone. Would you really do that?

=====

yes but I wouldn't do it for a restaurant that was obviously going to charge for a no show unless i really wanted that restaurant and the terms and conditions of when they would charge were ultra clear.

p.s what is it about companies that send out proprietary document formats such as word and excel to general members of the public expecting them to have those applications? Annoys the heck out of me.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 12:35
Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what would you do?

I've never been asked for card details when booking at a restaurant. Phone number, yes, but that's all. I'd give them a miss.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what would you do?

Dear All,

Thanks for your replies and sorry for the late response.

I contacted the restaurant and was told I'd be charged £50 if I cancelled within 48 hours. Needless to say I didn't book but I did write a review to tell people of my experience - after all that is what TA is about. I was very polite and clear that the review was on the process not the quality of the food.

I have just found that my review has been removed - obviously reported as inappropriate by the owners. They obviously don't want a low rating to affect their excellent core.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what would you do?

I think that the TA rules say that you have to have eaten there to be allowed to post a review.

P-t-B

UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
503 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what would you do?

Still be interested to know which restaurant it was