We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub Sunday Lunch ?

Which Telford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Pub Sunday Lunch ?

Can anyone recommend a decent Sunday Lunch in Telford . I'm meeting my 2 sisters in Telford next Sunday. They're coming up from London and we're travelling 2+ hours from our house. None of us have ever been to Telford before but it looked really convenient when we all consulted a map.I've 2 children and my Hubby and 1 of my sisters is a veggie so it needs to be somewhere to suit us all and not too pricey. I've heard there's a fab museum we can take in on our visit as well . Look forward to answers in advanvce , Many Thanks, Annette

11 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
718 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub Sunday Lunch ?

We have eaten a few times at The Meadow Inn on the edge of Ironbridge, evening meals were very good

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub Sunday Lunch ?

If you are all using cars then head to Ironbridge. There are a multitude of eating establishments (and many museums that might interest). The Meadow, as mentioned above, and the Valley Hotel are two places to consider but there are plenty of pubs serving food, some of them on the riverside.

If the weather's nice then there are few places in the area to beat it. If it's not so nice, it's still a decent place to spend the day.

Check out these links for more info:

http://www.ironbridge.org.uk/

http://www.visitironbridge.co.uk/

http://www.ironbridge.info/

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub Sunday Lunch ?

As an alternative, if you're travelling back to Wales the Sunday lunch in The Boathouse in Shrewsbury (about 20 minutes from Telford Central station, so not much more than the drive to Ironbridge) is excellent and the pub itself is a delight, situated on the River Severn with views across to the Quarry Park. It's easy to find as well, off the A5 at the A488 junction into Shrewsbury centre and then keep straight on and it's at the bottom of a steep hill.

http://boathouse-inn.co.uk/

Parking can be a bit of a nuisance but if you find the place on Google maps, Pengwern Rd is a couple of minutes away and there are usually spots there or on nearby Woodfield Rd.

We're taking my eldest out to lunch because he's off to Australia indefinitely on Monday. He wants to go to Cromwells in Shrewsbury centre. He assures us that the food there is very good but we haven't tried their Sunday lunch yet.

If you're staying in the Telford area, then Ironbridge as suggested above is the place to go, especially if you haven't been there before and make sure you have your cameras. I haven't eaten in The Swan in Ironbridge for about a year but it's been good the last few times we've been.

Wales
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub Sunday Lunch ?

That's great everyone. Thanks very much, Annette

Jackfield, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub Sunday Lunch ?

For Sunday lunch (including catering for veggies) in Ironbridge the Golden Ball is a fine choice - not too touristy, but hospitable, good value and a lovely home cooked Sunday lunch far exceed any of the offerings down on Wharfage unless you can get in at Restaurant Severn. Also curiously worth a go is the Woodbridge down the other end of The Gorge which is a slightly dishevelled place but does a lovely roast. If you don't want to be in ironbridge itself then The Hundred House also does a lovely sunday lunch. The Valley Hotel is ok and I haven't tried the Meadow Steak House for Sunday Lunch, but their steaks are good though I guess predictably being a steak house their vegetarian selection is a bit small.

Jackfield, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub Sunday Lunch ?

PS We have ten museums here in Ironbridge, not just one. Blists Hill Victorian Town is the one a lot of our visitors come back to. If you decide to do that, bypass the local pubs for lunch and treat yourselves to fish and chips from the proper chippie in the "town".

Wales
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pub Sunday Lunch ?

Thanks everyone. I met my Sisters and we had a lovely lunch at Truffles . What a gorgeous place Ironbridge is. Why is this place not flagged up more? It's about an hour and a half away from me and i didn't know it existed. A really great day out. Passed a Roman City which we didn't have time to look at ( we're going back) and a multitude of ruins. Steeped in history . Wei will definately return and explore some more when time isn't as precious as it was meeting family . I saw the Blists Hill Victorian Museum signs and that is deffo worth a return visit. Thanks again .

Shropshire, England
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pub Sunday Lunch ?

I agree with another post, the meals at the Meadow Inn Ironbridge are very good

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pub Sunday Lunch ?

Hello

I live in Telford there are many fine restaurants from cheap and cheerful to fine dining

search google and trip adviser

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pub Sunday Lunch ?

For anyone coming this way, Ironbridge, the nearer the river you are generally the more expensive it is. Along the river are numerous places, take your choice. As locals we only use http://www.horseandjockeyironbridge.com/. Leave the iron bridge to the right second exit at the little island and a few hundred yards on the right is the H and J. Park on the road. Dogs and children welcome. A superb Sunday lunch for sensible prices. Chose a starter from the board, ask which joints are on and choose from the home made pudding list. Two real ales on offer. Veggie options.

Reply to: Pub Sunday Lunch ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted