We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat around Gatwick

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
41 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Places to eat around Gatwick

Hi, quick question:

I'm staying in the Renaissance gatwick hotel for one night before an early flight. I don't really fancy the hotel food, so has anybody got any ideas on somewhere nice to eat that night, fairly close to the hotel. Also, has anybody stayed here, what's the hotel like?

Thanks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat around Gatwick

olipom: Haven't stayed there, but there are a couple of restaurants in either terminal. Also, you can find some shops that sell sandwiches and other snacks for takeaway.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat around Gatwick

I suppose the nearest place to the hotel town wise would be Crawley which is just a few minutes to the south and probably easily reached by bus or taxi - its a long time since I've been there, but I recall ithas some very pleasant hostelries and restaurants that were well worth the visit.

If you have a hire car you might fancy a trip out to the Effingham Park Hotel and Restaurant at Copthorne nearby, which many years ago had amazing chefs who did fantastic things - not sure what its like now - anybody know?

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat around Gatwick

forget crawey, horely is much closer to your hotel, and effingham is miles away! Horely is a short cab ride or you could walk to the town centre inside 15-20mins.

Your best bet is (pubs) either the Plough at Leigh, or the Fox Revived at Norwood Hill. both a quite short cab ride away, of the two the Plough does better food. There's also Limes Bistro in Charlwood just up the road.

UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to eat around Gatwick

There is not much in Horley. There's a good Indian (Curry Inn), and The Six Bells by the Church is ok-ish.

Leigh is a good bet - 5.5 miles from hotel. The Plough is quite good, but just now The 7 Stars just up the road has the edge.

Norwood Hill - Fox Revived is sadly pretty awful these days and has been run into the ground. My daughter used to work there.

In Charlwood - 2 miles from your hotel - Limes Bistro is not great and not cheap. The Greyhound is a fast food Pub (Hungry Horse) cheap & not great.

Rising Sun - good for a fight!

By the Church The Half Moon is recently refurbished. Food is not bad if slightly over priced - not a bad choice though.

There are choices in Crawley (5 miles), but Crawley is not the most attractive of Towns.

6 miles from hotel is Reigate where there are quite a few good eating choices - worth wandering around and selecting what you fancy.

Obviously I don't know quite what you're after but Gatwick Manor might suite - couple of miles from hotel.

I live in Charlwood and we like our food. If we were going out to eat we'd likely go to Leigh 7 Stars, or Reigate. All depends on budget and expectations.

5. Re: Places to eat around Gatwick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 07:23