We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Gatwick to London.

Naxxar Malta
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
From Gatwick to London.

Can someone kindly tell me where should I park my car on the way from Gatwick at the nearest station where there is no need to pay London Congestion charge to reach central london by underground. I will collect hired car from Gatwick Airport and will go straight to London. If someone knows a good parking where to park from 1500 hrs onwards please.

Thanks in Advance .....

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,383 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Gatwick to London.

Why are you picking up a car then driving into London????

Naxxar Malta
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Gatwick to London.

As we are 4 friends and when we divide the price of a hire car by 4 it's cheaper then train, taxi etc. we are going only for 3 days to watch ENGLAND vs BRASIL in Wembley Stadium.

Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,833 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Gatwick to London.

I don't understand.

So, you are hiring a car at Gatwick, driving to a underground station outside of the congestion zone, and then leaving the car there for 3 days while you travel around by public transport ?

Naxxar Malta
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Gatwick to London.

Not for 3 days the first day will arrive at Gatwick Airport at around 1400hrs and wish to go straight to London to spend a couple of hours in central London and that's it. Our Hotel is near Gatwick Airport and we need to drive back to Hotel and the other 2 days driving but not in London.

Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,833 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Gatwick to London.

That makes sense now. ;-)

UK
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Gatwick to London.

IMO it would hardly be worth the hassle for just two hours in London but that said here goes........

I suggest you drive to Redhill station (just north of Gatwick) and park in their open air car park. The daily charge is £5.80. Tickets can be bought in cash from an on site machine or from the ticket office but must be displayed on windshield so there is a lot of walking back and forth. Make sure your luggage is stored out of sight in the car. At that time of the day driving from Gatwick to park at a London underground station would be very time consuming.

Alternatively leave your luggage at Gatwick - go into London from there by train - return, collect luggage and pick up rental car and drive to your nearby hotel.

Edited: 18 December 2012, 13:51
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,117 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Gatwick to London.

If you're staying near gatwick it's a long drive/journey to wembley. Would have been better to base yourself somewhere north west london.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,951 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Gatwick to London.

Wembley stadium is not really Central London so you should probably plan to park your car where you can easily get back to it after the match (bearing in mind other spectators will have the same idea in mind).

Wembley is served by three stations see wembleystadium.com/TheStadium/GettingHere.

You could consider parking at a station on the Chiltern line such as Beaconsfield or High Wycombe, a hotel in that vicinity would also be a good idea. chilternrailways.co.uk/routes-and-destinatio…

Edited: 18 December 2012, 14:55
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,383 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From Gatwick to London.

< As we are 4 friends and when we divide the price of a hire car by 4 it's cheaper then train, taxi etc. >

Even when you add in the cost of getting to wembley from whereever you park the car?

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Gatwick to London.

If you follow the A23 north of Redhill, the next place you come to is Merstham. People park there for free on the road (still the A23, actually a bridge over the M25), and commute into London. Hopefully there'll be some empty spaces by the time you get there - then it's a 2 minute walk to Merstham station where the trains go to either Victoria or London Bridge.

Mike