We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to London by train

Which Crawley hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick to London by train

We(2) will be arriving GTW around 7.00am on a Monday morning. Allowing about an hour for customs/luggage etc. we plan on taking the First Capital Express to St Pancras direct.(Hotel is close to St.P/Kx). Given the time of day, should I buy tickets ahead of time, or when we arrive, or does it really matter. Any other better ideas ??

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,431 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to London by train

You need not buy tickets in advance, the fare will be the same if you buy on the day.

I do suggest you linger at Gatwick a while before travelling to St Pancras. The trains will be wall to wall with commuters until about 0945, and I suspect you won't want to stand for the journey from airport to city centre.

At Gatwick rail station, ask for tickets plus Travelcards; fare will be £13 if you travel from Gatwick after 0930. If you'd rather travel to St P earlier then buy rail tickets only; single fare is £10 per person.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,939 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to London by train

Also there is probably no point in arriving at the hotel around 9am as rooms won't be ready. There are plenty of places to get some coffee and food at Gatwick and, as above, if you leave Gatwick a little later you will miss the worst of the rush hour crowds.

3. Re: Gatwick to London by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 06:19