We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time do I need to get a train to London from Gatwic

Which Crawley hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
212 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
How much time do I need to get a train to London from Gatwic

BA have changed the time of my flights so am a bit worried I can't get home.

My flight arrives at 20.40 into the North terminal. I have hand luggage only so can anyone give me a rough idea how long it will take me on a Saturday in November to get from my flight, through customs and immigration, onto the shuttle and to a train at Gatwick.

I'm a bit worried I'm going to spend the night on the platform at Kings Cross if I'm late back

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,210 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time do I need to get a train to London from Gatwic

Where do you have to get to ? your post is slightly confusing.

It also might help if you told us what time the last train to your home is from (presumably) King's Cross.

London
Level Contributor
9,308 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time do I need to get a train to London from Gatwic

If everything runs like a very well oiled machine, you can make it from a north terminal gate to the railway station in 20/30 minutes.

However: your flight might be delayed and or immigration queues may be slow - none of which can be predicted ahead of time.

The other detail is that there will be engineering works over many weekends (between now and 2018) affecting the Thameslink train route so we need to check the exact date you're travelling in case train services are disrupted.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
212 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time do I need to get a train to London from Gatwic

Thank you. I arrived into the North Terminal at 20.40 and need to get the train to St Pancras then cross the road to Kings Cross. The last train out of Kings Cross is at 00:40.

I obviously realise that there maybe delays but was hoping for an idea as to how long on average it would take. At Stansted the passport biometric reader doesn't work a lot of the time and the queues to get through immigration can take an age. As I haven't flown into the North terminal at Gatwick I didn't know if it was a really long walk and or immigration is constantly under-manned for example

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time do I need to get a train to London from Gatwic

If you land at 20.40 I'd be really surprised if you weren't sitting on the last train out of KC at 00.40 (if not an even earlier one).

London
Level Contributor
9,308 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time do I need to get a train to London from Gatwic

Agree. Things would have to have gone really pear shaped for you to miss the 0040. However, do check your precise date for national rail engineering changes.

6. Re: How much time do I need to get a train to London from Gatwic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 06:22