We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Glasgow

mudwash
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick to Glasgow

We are arriving at Gatwick and travelling to Glasgow we have looked at flights, Train and bus. Flights are a good price but we add luggage the price goes way up we will have about 30 kg each as we are travelling for about 3 months . Does anyone know if there is away that we can go by plane and our luggage can go by some other means . Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to Glasgow

You might find a courier service - probably for rather more than the airline baggage fees

Two problems - getting them to the courier (who would be on a nearby industrial estate) and having somewhere to deliver them at the far end

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,057 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to Glasgow

Why do you need 30kg each? You shouldn't need more than you would need for 2 weeks. It's going to be a problem transporting it anywhere, let alone by air

Have you checked the HAND and checked luggage allowances for both BA & EasyJet - both have VERY generous HAND luggage allowances.

BUT the real question is why have you booked to Gatwick when you want to be in Glasgow - if you had booked to Glasgow in the first place then this wouldn't be an issue

Edited: 29 January 2014, 08:27
Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,760 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to Glasgow

BA excess charge is 40GBP up to 32 kg. A 29kg bag on Easyjet is 37GBP but they don't weight carry on so you could easily put 15kg in there as long as it meets the size requirements.

For me I would just pay the extra or pack lighter forthe convenience of just hopping on a plane.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick to Glasgow

I agree - BA would be my choice.

They have a flight (currently) priced at £49 one way LGW-GLA, which includes 23kg of checked baggage and 23kg of hand luggage, so you should be fine. (FYI - the price without checked baggage is £39)

I often travel with luggage in excess of 30kg. Why would I need to do this? - absolutely none of your business!

mudwash
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick to Glasgow

Well we will have cloths plus electrical stuff , laptops and presents for family . We like to book our Max luggage so we can bring stuff back with us that we may buy on our holiday.

London
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick to Glasgow

Remember, BA allow a wheelie bag and another smaller bag in the cabin, so presumably you'd have all the electrical stuff in hand baggage? So it should be possible to make do with a 23kg allowance for hold luggage. I find it virtually impossible to manoeuvre with a bag that's heavier than 20kg....

mudwash
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick to Glasgow

Thanks everyone we have booked BA .

8. Re: Gatwick to Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 06:19