We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick 4-5 hour layover---any suggestions?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick 4-5 hour layover---any suggestions?

We arrive in Gatwick from Vancouver at 9:30 and we head to Rome later that day at 17:30. So methinks that will give us about 4-5 hours once we account for customs on arrival and checking in again as we travel onward.

In a perfect world we'd like to park our bags (one carry on each) in an airport locker then walk from the airport to go get some fresh air on a nice enjoyable walk and then grab lunch in a nice local pub. Any suggestions on where to walk, where to eat?

Can we accomplish this by walking from the airport or do we need to grab a taxi first etc?

Please don't make us sit in the airport all this time :)

Cheers

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,326 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick 4-5 hour layover---any suggestions?

There are no lockers for bags at Gatwick airport. Left luggage rooms are available in both the North and South Terminal buildings, but the cost is £9 per piece for periods of 2 - 24h.

You may have time to leave the airport for a bit of air, but it depends on when you plan to travel, so let us know the date, please. As well, with what airline have you booked to fly to Rome?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick 4-5 hour layover---any suggestions?

Thanks for the real good info on the airport lockers or lack thereof.

We plan to arrive May 16th and we will probably fly Norwegian Air or Easy Jet to Rome.

I'm sure it'll be a complete gong show, but steady, reliable air travel is kind of boring isn't it? :)

Thanks very much

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,326 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick 4-5 hour layover---any suggestions?

Thanks - and you're welcome.

EZ's flight from LGW to FCO departs at 1710 on 16 May, with DY's departing at 1740. As long as your Air Transat flight from YVR arrives on time you should be through passport control by about 1030. You will need to be back at Gatwick no later than 1500 for a departure with either airline.

Since you will travel on a weekday you could nip down to Brighton for a bit of seaside and lunch there. Travel time on the train is about 26 - 36 minutes with an Off Peak return around £10 per person. Haywards Heath is an option as well, just 10 - 15 minutes on the train for about £6 return per person.

As to specifics of where to go I will have to leave that up to others (argyle_mikey, USBT or another more familiar with the area), but with a few hours to spare you should be able to find somewhere away from the airport for a bit of fresh air and exercise.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick 4-5 hour layover---any suggestions?

What TP said, a quick train trip to Brighton is the obvious. From the train station at Brighton my recollection is that it's a bit of a trek to the seafront so best to spend five pounds on a taxi to get to the sea, because otherwise you may as well go to any nearby town. There is nowhere within walking distance of the airport.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick 4-5 hour layover---any suggestions?

Brighton is a good call. Head to "The Basketmakers Arms" and poke around the shops of the North Laine for an hour.

If you want to see the countryside a bit, grab a taxi to beautiful Nymans gardens at Handcross.

If you want a circular country walk and lunch at a pub by the classic English village green, PM me - it's my local so I don't advertise it on here !

Finally, if you end up only having a couple of hours, take a taxi to "The Fox Revived", a fair country pub within 15 minutes of LGW.

Mike

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick 4-5 hour layover---any suggestions?

If u do find yourself with not much time to maybe get a train down to the coast,a pub near the airport we've visited a few times before our flights from Gatwick,in the past is the Ye Olde 6 Bells,Curch Road in Horley.It wud take 10 mins or so in a cab to get there & is a nice 'olde worlde' country pub with lots of history attached to it & has a nice little beer garden to sit in if the weather is good.There's also a luvly old church next to it.

You can book a table on line if you so wish & they do a set lunch menu from £7.50 for 2 courses & from £9.50 for 3 courses,12pm - 5pm.Pretty good value and we've always found the food very reasonable........

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick 4-5 hour layover---any suggestions?

I knew someone would suggest the 6 Bells !!! It's fine and is very close - but that does mean that you're not really getting away from the airport at all. If you can, my recommendation is to travel a little further out.

Mike

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick 4-5 hour layover---any suggestions?

You could also get a train to Lewes - beautiful, very old, town on a river . 30 mins by train from Gatwick

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick 4-5 hour layover---any suggestions?

What a wonderful array of fascinating options to consider...We cannot thank each of you enough for looking out for us....We're going to spend a few hours this weekend looking over all the options and then we will probably ultimately be flipping a coin to see which of these many excellent options we pursue...

Thanks again!!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick 4-5 hour layover---any suggestions?

To help your decision, if the weather is poor, rain or wind, skip Brighton. If it's sunny them I'd say that ups the appeal of Brighton