We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on the Sale area

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on the Sale area

Hi,

I'm moving to Manchester in the next few weeks and need to rent in the short term. My husband and I are both 27 and need somewhere safe and pleasant with a few bars and restaurants, good public transport links into the city centre and not too expensive a taxi journey after a night out in the city.

Because of this we have come up with Sale as a possible area (we would have liked Didsbury or city centre but everything in our price range is a flat and we can't move into one of these as we have a cat).

We've found a few properties around Sale in our price range within 15-20 minutes of 3 metrolink stations (Sale, Brooklands and Dane Road).

What are these areas like? Are there any areas to completely avoid?

Thanks x

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on the Sale area

DH and I lived in Sale, near Brooklands Station, for about 5 year when we were around your age. I worked in the centre of Manchester then and DH worked in Cheadle Hulme. So it worked well for us. Generally it's an OK area. Not as upmarket as Altrincham and certainly less so Hale. Of course this is reflected in the prices.

Didsbury is popular with young professionals where Sale tends to be more of a mix of ages.

There are no no-go areas. There's a couple of council estates but nothing to worry about there. The town centre has some shops - there a M&S food store and a decent Tesco (I was actually in both just last week). But the rest of the town square is discount stuff - think Poundshops and cheap linen kinda things. So OK for basics but I'd go elsewhere for luxuries and for home furnishings and clothes.

But the shopping in Altrincham is much better and of course you're only a tram ride away from the centre of Manchester.

Sorry I can't really help on the bars. Its a few years since we moved away and they'll all have changed. But hopefully someone who know it better can chime in too.

2. Re: Advice on the Sale area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 09:37