We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying with family in Middleton

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Staying with family in Middleton

I'll be visiting in Manchester, staying with family in Middleton. I'm not driving, and may be going out and about on my own for some sight seeing. I've read elsewhere on TA about Knutsford and would like to try to get there but I'm stymied about bus service. I tried the TFGM (transportation for greater manchester) website but it's confusing to me. I did see that bus service to Knutsford is not too well served by bus but do hope there's a way to get there. Any suggestions on other things to see would be most welcome. I've got a few things in mind, including the Greater Manchester Police Museum, Gawsworth Hall, Dunham Massey Hall. I've been to Manchester before but only for quick visits, so have been to the City Center, and along the canals. Would like to get out and see more of the surrounding area.

Thank you!

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying with family in Middleton

Hi,

One way to get to Knutsford from Middleton is to catch the 163 bus to Piccadilly Gardens, take the short walk to Piccadilly Station and from there take the train to Knutsford. The 163 buses are very frequent and there's a train every hour to Knutsford. The return train fare is £6.10.

www.tfgm.com/upload/routemaps/163_28196.pdf

You can walk into Tatton Park at Knutsford, it's worth a visit. I believe that entry to the park on foot is free.

http://www.tattonpark.org.uk/

To get to Dunham Massey, catch a tram in Manchester City Centre to Altrincham Interchange. From there, the #5 bus will take you to the gates at Dunham Massey. Purchase a day return ticket on the bus, they are quite cheap.

If you feel fit, you can walk along the canal to Lymm, a lovely village. The village is on the banks of the Bridgewater canal and it still has its stocks in the village centre. You can catch the #5 bus back to Altrincham from a stop in the village.

tfgm.com/upload/…5_37_37A_38_28367.pdf

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying with family in Middleton

Thanks Irlgeo, that's great information. Quite helpful! I love the plan of walking along the canal to Lymm!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying with family in Middleton

Would that be Kate Middleton??

4. Re: Staying with family in Middleton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 19:15