We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

See Manchester in about 3 hours

nottingham
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
See Manchester in about 3 hours

I am bringing my 90 year old mother to central Manchester on Sunday 25 September for a trip down memory lane. She was born and worked in central Manchester but hasn't been back since 1960s and I'd like to show her the sights. She is in wheelchair. Need somewhere to park car then could use public transport, taxi etc. Want to pull in Picadilly and would like to see Salford Quays.

Any ideas on how to get about- we only have about 3 hours and also need lunch.

Livo

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
459 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: See Manchester in about 3 hours

Hi

Use the metro link system goes from Piccadilly and covers the quays. BUT with only 3 hours your not giving yourself and mother any time. Try to arrange so you can see more of such a great City.

Have a good trip

nottingham
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: See Manchester in about 3 hours

Yes I know - we'll have to come again!

Thanks for suggestion.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: See Manchester in about 3 hours

Hi,

As stated, 3 hrs isn't long and the weather may play its part. I think that using public transport would eat into your time. If you decide on public transport, make use of the trams and The Metroshuttle buses, the buses are free to use and they are suitable for wheelchairs.

tfgm.com/upload/library/Metroshuttle_Pocket_…

One option would be to drive straight to Salford Quays and park in The Lowry Outlet Mall. You would then be in the centre of the quays very close to The Lowry Centre, MediaCity and The Imperial War Museum North. I realize that you'll not have time to visit those attractions, but that location would give you a good taste of The Quays.

The car park is free for the first hour, the first 4 hours, if you make a purchase at one of the shops and get your ticket validated at the shop. A newspaper from the newsagent would suffice. You'll have no trouble with a wheelchair, it's all disabled friendly.

This photo will give you an idea of the location, the mall is on the left of the photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63798711@N05/5812182165/

Photo by Maureen Robinson.

You will not have much time, so I would then drive into the city centre and park close to St Ann's Square, or Albert Square. There are plenty of disabled parking bays in that area. On street parking in bays and on single yellow lines is free on Sundays, as long as you don't cause an obstruction. I suggest that area because it hasn't change much, I am sure that your mother will find it very familiar and you'll find plenty of restaurants close by.

You may find this map useful..

manchester.gov.uk/site/…

Good luck and I hope that you both have a great time and the weather behaves itself.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: See Manchester in about 3 hours

irlgeo covers the ground really well. My additional comments would be: does your mother have a disabled car badge? and How well do you know Manchester? Parking near the Town Hall will probably be ok in the area between the Town Hall and King Street with a badge. Getting to this area will be tricky without a satnav or local knowledge.

The tram is a fair distance from The Lowry Centre, but that would be a good base otherwise. Perhaps do Manchester before lunch and then head off to the Quays for lunch, several good restaurants and car parking is free for 6 hours with a lunch receipt.

May I too wish you well: have a great visit.

nottingham
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: See Manchester in about 3 hours

Thanks Irlgeo- some really good insider info! My knowledge of Manchester can just about cope with parking at the Quays and St Anne's Square- Mum always taking about this area so will definitely get there.

Thanks for the photo too!

Livo

nottingham
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: See Manchester in about 3 hours

Thanks dmb100- yes we do have disabled badge- your ideas really helpful- got some decisions to make now!

Livo

7. Re: See Manchester in about 3 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 01:15