We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Centre Court a good choice for Basingstoke? Also what to do

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Centre Court a good choice for Basingstoke? Also what to do

Going to Basingstoke next week on business. Client recommended Center Court hotel as they have a special rate. Is this a good hotel? Also, what are some nice things to do in the evening in Basingstoke? Will be driving a car from Gatwick which should be an adventure as I've never driven in the UK. Any pointers on not killing myself while driving? Keep in mind I'm from the USA and not used to driving on the other side of the road. Thanks!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Centre Court a good choice for Basingstoke? Also what to do

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187054-d192560…

Hi. Well the reviews on here seem OK. I live half an hour from Basingstoke, so have never needed to use their hotels. The hotel's in Chineham (pronounced "Chin'm")so not not a huge else around other than busy 'A' roads and residential areas.

Basingstoke is a modern town and somewhat lacking in charm. However, it's pretty good for leisure facilities. Go into town and you have Festival Place which has many places to eat, plus cinema. There's also another cinema complex at the leisure park, where you'll also find an icing rink, bowling lanes, and stuff.

I would recommend a quick visit to Milestones Museum if you have time(next to the Leisure Park) - a couple of streets recreated to look like Victorian days and the 1940s, plus other rooms for the 30s/50s/60s. Real trip down memory lane, and well done.

With a car, you should try to get out to the villages if you possibly can. Very attractive. My insider tip is Odiham ("Oh-deeyum") which is a delightful Georgian village. It has a lot of history which unfortunately is well-hidden to the casual glance.

You're also about 20 minutes from Winchester which is WELL worth visiting. Gorgeous cathedral, ancient city, burial place of Jane Austen.

Driving from Gatwick is a doddle, and being mostly on motorways, will be easy for you to get started with. M23 to M25, head towards Heathrow (ie anti-clockwise) to Jn 12 where you join the M3 towards Southampton. Basingstoke is off jn 6.

One thing you need to know about Basingstoke is that it is full of roundabouts. These aren't too bad once you get the hang of them. Just remember priority is given to traffic on your right. Just keep going round if you're not sure which is your exit!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Centre Court a good choice for Basingstoke? Also what to do

Oops! I think I mean 'clock-wise'!!!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Centre Court a good choice for Basingstoke? Also what to do

Thanks so much for the advice. Cheers!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Centre Court a good choice for Basingstoke? Also what to do

Now looking at the Four Seasons which is about 20 min from Basingstoke I think? It's on the approved hotels list so unless there is something wrong with the place I think I will stay there. I should be able to handle a 20 min drive I think.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Centre Court a good choice for Basingstoke? Also what to do

Dogsmerfield is a delightful little village - I know the headteacher of the primary school there! However, it is what it says on the tin. It's a tiny village, so you will need that car, and it will be very quiet in the evenings. Now, is it the Queen's Head in Dogsmerfield? Used to be good for food - and popular, but not been for a while.

Oh, and the country lanes might be a bit nerve-wracking to drive along at night with no street lighting!

Still, you can drive over to Odiham for some good meals. Incidentally, if this place is on your approved list, it might be worth consideration. DH and I stayed here 17 years or so ago, when we first moved down here, and another contributor to Trip (well, her husband) stayed here earlier this year and also recommended it:

http://www.georgehotelodiham.com/home.asp

6. Re: Centre Court a good choice for Basingstoke? Also what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 12:21