We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basingstoke--how big, where to stay etc

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
228 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Basingstoke--how big, where to stay etc

Hello,

I'm planning trip to London in mid-March and at the end of my stay, I will be in Basingstoke to attend a concert at The Anvil theatre. I'm looking at accommodations in Basingstoke and there are several hotels from which to choose.

Can posters here give me some idea of where The Anvil is in relation to some of the hotels such as the Red Lion or the Hilton? When the websites say "walking distance to the town centre," are they accurate? Any information about taxi service to and from the concert venue would be helpful too.

I get the sense that Basingstoke town centre is small--am I correct? Thanks for any insight you have to share.

7 replies to this topic
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basingstoke--how big, where to stay etc

Hi, I can't answer your question but its possible to look at the town on google street view, so you could see how long the route is from any given hotel by 'walking' it on street view. Hope that helps:)

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basingstoke--how big, where to stay etc

Basingstoke is a fairly large town with a new shopping centre and a range of shops and chain restaurants. However, it is not usually a holiday destination!

The Anvil is right next to the railway station so easy to get to. You could even travel back to central London after the show.

The Red Lion is a 10 minute walk through the town to the Anvil. I wouldn't rate this hotel particularly although suggest you look at reviews elsewhere on this site.

The Hilton would be a short taxi ride, although it will probably cost you £8-9 each way. Taxis from the station are more expensive. There are nicer hotels outside the town but you would really need your own transport.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basingstoke--how big, where to stay etc

This is the Basingstoke online directory:

http://www.basingstoke.co.uk/

Pretty well everything you could want to know about Basingstoke is there, including a street directory.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
228 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basingstoke--how big, where to stay etc

Thanks for the propmt responses.

WalkingWithBoots, I appreciate your candor about the Red Lion; definitely taking your words into consideration.

Wansteader, I'll go through the online directory to continue to get a better feel for Basingstoke.

Purple C, Google street view is a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basingstoke--how big, where to stay etc

My instinct, like post 2, would be to see if there is a train leaving after the concert that will get you back to London, rather than faff about moving hotels for one night.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
228 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basingstoke--how big, where to stay etc

joeintheuk, thanks for the suggestion. There are late trains going back to London that will fit my schedule. Solves several problems.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
780 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Basingstoke--how big, where to stay etc

Most people staying at Red Lion seem to be very satisfied and it is under ten minutes from the Anvil.

Reply to: Basingstoke--how big, where to stay etc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted