We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing

Which Basingstoke hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Sightseeing

Trip Advisor Community,

I will be staying in Hampshire England for four days. I can't seem to find any information on things and sights in that area. I'm hoping someone in the community has some suggestions.

Much thanks,

She

5 replies to this topic
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing

I am trying to think of any tourism sights in Basingstoke and failing! I am sure there must be something!

There is a stately home just outside called The Vyne. Have not been there for years but lovely house and grounds.

If you Google "visit Hampshire"can you genuinely find nothing you like?

It is very hard to advise when we don't know what you like and if you have a car or need public transport.

Nice places in Hampshire include

Winchester - historic city, cathedral, walls, ruins, the round table, shops.

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - Mary Rose, HMS Victory, modern war ships

Gunwharf Quays - discount shopping in Portsmouth

South Downs National Park - area of natural beauty.

New Forest National Park - wild ponies and other things in the middle of the road.

Beaulieu Motor museum - all about cars.

Marwell Zoo - what it says on the tin.

Sea City Museum Southampton - about Titanic

Jane Austen'sHouse, Chawton -some famous author lived here.

Though not in Hampshire you are actually very close to Oxford, historic university city.

Also close by but not in Hampshire is Highclere house aka Downton Abbey.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing

The Milestones Museum has a fascinating collection of vehicles, industrial exhibits and domestic sets covering the last 100 years history, and gives a good insight into the development of England from rural to industrial times

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing

You could walk (or boat) along the Basingstoke Canal.

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing

Basingstoke is a relatively new town, expanded vastly post-WW2 to house the London overspill. As such it does not have huge heritage, or be a particularly good base from which to explore. Basingstoke is sometimes nicknamed Bun City -- a reference to the number of roundabouts!

The area of Hampshire with the most interest in my opinion is Portsmouth/Winchester/New Forest. Southampton does not have a great deal either but it depends what interests you.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing

Although Basingstoke is not a regular tourist destination, it is a good central base for seeing many places by train - including London (40 mins by fast train), Salisbury, Winchester, Southampton (for Isle of Wight), Portsmouth, etc. The Milestones museum is also good for a half day visit.

There are several low cost hotels, 2 cinemas, a theater, concert hall, many shops and eating places.

If you have a car it would make an excellent base for seeing Hampshire, and the New Forest can be reached in about 45 minutes. Bournemouth with its lovely beaches is about an hour's drive away.

Reply to: Sightseeing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted