We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay for a weekend near Milton Keynes

Morecambe
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay for a weekend near Milton Keynes

Hi,

I have to come down from Lancashire to MK for a day seminar in January, we would like to make a weekend of it and stay some where nice close by, as anyone any suggestions please? Last year we stayed in Woburn which was ideal, but we did everything there so would like some where different this time

Any ideas would be very welcome

Thank you

Debz

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay for a weekend near Milton Keynes

Stay at one of the hotels in The Hub in Central MK to be close to pubs / places to eat etc or if you want to be outside MK with a touch of comfort think about Whittlebury Hall near Towcester (pricey 'though). Or look at Stony Stratford to the North of MK - nice little market town, or even one of the canalside villages like Cosgrove .......

bucks
Level Contributor
53 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay for a weekend near Milton Keynes

I agree with AngelaMMiltonKeynes about staying in CMK close to the action but it depends what you like and what you want to do. About 25 minutes away is Buckingham. You could try www.buckinghamuk.info to see if it is the sort of place you might like.

Reading
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay for a weekend near Milton Keynes

If you're wanting to make a weekend out of it, I suggest you stay a little out of town somewhere more interesting.

Horwood House - helloreception.co.uk/Hotel/34239/Horwood_Hou… - offers modern accommodation in a stunning country house. It has extensive grounds, a swimming pool including jacuzzi and sauna. There is also a gym and tennis courts if you're feeling energetic. It would also be an ideal base for doing some walking in the area. It is located approximately 30 minutes drive from central Milton Keynes so you'd have to get up a bit earlier for your conference! A weekend in January would cost around £75 per night for a double room including breakfast.

Morecambe
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay for a weekend near Milton Keynes

Thank you very much for your replies. I maybe should have mentioned the seminar is at the OU. The last time my boyfriend went into milton keynes while I was at the seminar and he said it took longer to get to the center than it took us to get to the OU from Woburn; so am looking at staying in a nice little village/town close enough to MK for my man to drive me in on the Saturday morning, with somewhere where we can go out for a couple of nice meals on the Friday and Saturday night. Thank you again.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay for a weekend near Milton Keynes

Have a look at Milton Keynes B&Bs/Inns on Tripadvisor - the best rated are listed and, where they are situated in relation to where you want to stay.

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay for a weekend near Milton Keynes

Not sure why it would have taken so long to get to Central MK from the OU - I live close to the OU and it takes me about 10 mins (if that) to get to CMK (but I suppose that might be down to me knowing the roads). Given your comment about wanting to go out for meals on the Fri and Sat night - I would again recommend the Hub in CMK - everything within walking distance - including the shopping. It really wouldn't be difficult for bf to drop you off at the OU and then return to CMK - it's a pretty straight route and once he'd done it once he wouldn't have a problem.

I wouldn't recommend The Hilton, which is right next door to the OU - has pretty poor reviews on Tripadvisor - therefore it's a choice between the centre or an outlying village - and then you are restricted on places to eat.

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
25 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay for a weekend near Milton Keynes

If you want to eat near the OU's Walton Hall campus there's a pub called the Swan nearby which does a very good range to suit most tastes. Opposite this in Woughton on the Green there is also a small hotel at which many people visiting the OU stay - The Parkside is 3 star Mercure hotel on Newport Road and is in a pretty setting and about £70 a night. From there you could have a trip to Bletchley Park, home of the WWII code breakers, about 10 mins drive, or go to Whaddeson Manor near Aylesbury (allow 40 mins to get there) www.whaddeson.org.uk a big stately pile with lovely grounds and some fascinating history. It's National Trust.

However if that isn't your thing then bring warm gear and try Xcape and the snodome - everything in MK has a price tag tho! The complex has some shopping, cafes, skiing, snow boarding and a Cineworld cinema - booking advisable for all.

The OU used to provide a B&B guide to visitors if you prefer to spend less on a bed for the night and more on your weekend. www.destinationmiltonkeynes.co.uk provides links

8. Re: where to stay for a weekend near Milton Keynes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2010, 07:15