We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real ale & best fish and chip shop

Which Maidstone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Real ale & best fish and chip shop

Hello all. I'm coming to the Days Inn for 3 nights on the motorway, is it walking distance to any shops or pubs, where can I enjoy some real ale and finally where are the best fish and chips, thanks for any replies.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,030 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Real ale & best fish and chip shop

Adesam, you'll have to give us a bit more information. Kent is a big county! Which town or village are you staying in.

Edited: 11 May 2012, 19:55
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Real ale & best fish and chip shop

adesam - looking at Google maps it's not walking distance from anywhere, as you will not be able to cross Junction 8 of the M20 on foot.

I'm not familiar with places to eat & drink in the Maidstone area so hopefully others will be forthcoming with recommendations! You could head into the nearby village of Bearsted which has a few pubs & restaurants that get good reviews on here under the Maidstone listings.

Edited: 11 May 2012, 21:15
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,857 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Real ale & best fish and chip shop

Yes, the Days Inn near Maidstone is actually on a motorway service area nearly 4 miles from Maidstone. The village of Hollingbourne is about a mile away, Bearstead and the suburbs of Maidstone over two miles.

It's ages since I have been to either so cannot recommend a pub etc.

You can walk to Hollingbourne. It is a bit of a long way round but you can cross the highspeed rail line and the motorway by walking around the roundabout and onto the A20 Ashford road then down to Eyehorne Street and back over the motorway etc into Hollingbourne.

If you look hard at Google maps and Google Street view of Hollingbourne and that motorway junction there is a suspicion of a footpath alongside the railway and into Hollingbourne, which would considerably shorten the distance. I am sure hotel staff can advise.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,030 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Real ale & best fish and chip shop

Two good pubs in Hollingbourne are The Sugar Loaves, and The Windmill. Both serve food and have pub gardens, and are almost next door to each other. Personally, I prefer the food in The Windmill.

It's a long time since I went to The Dirty Habit, just outside of Hollingbourne, as the food was dire.

In Bearsted, on the actual village green are another two pubs, The White Horse( serves food) and the Royal Oak (also known as the Oak on the Green). The Royal Oak had a kitchen fire some weeks ago, and is still being renovated. Right next door to the Royal Oak, is an excellent fish restuarant, Fish on the Green. This is not a cheap chippy, but a very good restaurant. .

There is a chip shop in Bearsted, but it is on the A20 ( Ashford Road) and not in walking distance from your hotel.

Again on the A20 through Bearsted are another 2 pubs, The Lion of Kent and The Rose. The Lion of Kent has been refurbished about a year ago and does an extensive carvery, and big TVs for watching sports fixtures. The Rose is a pub and an Indian restuarant ( very good food ).

The Black Horse in the tiny hamlet of Thurnham is another pub that sells good food. It is more of a restuarant now, as the bar area is tiny. It is very popular, but definately not in walking distance. There is a lovely pub garden at the back, with plenty of seating.

If you wanted to have a drink, then I'm sure the hotel will give you the numbers of local taxi firms.

Chesterfield
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Real ale & best fish and chip shop

Thanks again everyone, you came up trumphs, cheers.

6. Re: Real ale & best fish and chip shop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2014, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Maidstone