We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice pubs in Maidstone

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,864 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
nice pubs in Maidstone

We will be staying at the Premier Inn Maidstone Town Centre for four nights from next Sunday, using it as a base to visit gardens and NT properties in the area.

In the evening, we would like to visit some traditional pubs in the town centre (not 'theme' pubs or chains). Any suggestions welcome? Also, any particularly nice areas of Maidstone that we should not miss?

Likely To Sell Out
Leeds Castle, Canterbury Cathedral...
731 Reviews
from US$134.90*
Kent, Canterbury, Dover, and...
96 Reviews
from US$130.60*
Special Offer
Canterbury, Greenwich, Leeds Castle...
354 Reviews
from US$126.50*
US$140.50
Leeds Castle, Canterbury Castle...
97 Reviews
from US$83.80*
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: nice pubs in Maidstone

Sorry - I didn't intend my last post to appear in triplicate and have no idea how I managed to do that!

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,952 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: nice pubs in Maidstone

The Walnut Tree is a 20 minute walk from your hotel, and has a comedy night on Weds, where new and developing comediens try out their routine, Can be a bit hit and miss, but there's no charge and generally a local crowd. It also has benches in the garden to the front.

Most of the town centre pubs are busier in the latter part of the week, so you'll be spared the crowds, but they have gradually become chain owned.

There are a cluster of pubs between the Royal Star Arcade the the Hazlitt Theatre that put out chairs and tables, which is ideal if the weather is good.

Unfortunately trains become less frerquent and the bus service isn't good after 6pm, so going to out of town village pubs ( of which there are loads in Leeds, Loose, Bearsted, Barming etc... ) would only be an option if someone is the nominated driver, or you are prepared to get a taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Hazlitt Theatre
Hazlitt Theatre
94 Reviews
Maidstone, UK
Leeds
Leeds
Maidstone, UK
Bearsted
Bearsted
Maidstone, UK
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: nice pubs in Maidstone

The Swan behind the prison, and the Rifle Volunteers are friendly traditional back street locals. The former has a website, and I fear we will never see the likes of the latter again. Neither pub ever lacks intelligent conversation.

Mentioned in this post
The Rifle Volunteers
The Rifle Volunteers
14 Reviews
Maidstone, UK
Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,864 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: nice pubs in Maidstone

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. We have just returned home today after our four night stay.

We arrived in Maidstone last Sunday afternoon and immediately went for a walk around the town centre. There were some nice streets and parks but also lots of bare chested men wondering around or sitting on steps of buildings drinking cans of beer and lager. It was the same down by the river. This was undoubtedly due to the very high temperature but, to be honest, it put us off going back into town.

We then went for a walk up London Road (heading out of town) and found a very nice pub, the White Horse, only 3-4 minutes walk from the Premier Inn. It was full of friendly locals and the bar staff were very welcoming too, so we went there each evening. So now I feel very guilty that we didn't try any of your other recommendations, but it was just so easy to stroll up to the White Horse. There was also an excellent Indian restaurant a stone's throw from the pub and we ate there twice; the food was superb.

talitha - how lucky you are to work as a volunteer at Sissinghurst! We thought it was wonderful and the rose (now re-named rosa Mulligani) was in full flower. We also visited Scotney Castle, Bodiam Castle, Great Dixter (also fabulous) and the stretch of coast near Dungeness with all the beach houses. We have never seen anything like it before and thought it was a photographer's dream.

We drove through Headcorn and thought it was one of the nicest villages that we saw. In fact, I think we would have enjoyed staying there much more than Maidstone.

One thing we were really disappointed in was that most of the country roads have high banks at the sides and you don't get any views of the lovely countryside. Such a shame!

We really enjoyed our visit and thank you again, everyone, for taking the time to answer my post.

Mentioned in this post
Premier Inn
Premier Inn
31 Reviews
Maidstone, UK
Dungeness
Dungeness
Kent, UK
Headcorn
Headcorn
Kent, UK
Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,864 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: nice pubs in Maidstone

... forgot to mention Chartwell and Wakehurst Place - both excellent.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: nice pubs in Maidstone

Don't feel guilty - I don't blame you at all for not wanting to spend much time in Maidstone. I only posted pub recommendations because you'd already booked your hotel and I thought you wanted to be there. We only go to Maidstone when we really have to, mainly because of the bare chested beer drinkers etc. Tenterden is so much nicer.

I live in Headcorn and I'm so glad that you liked our village. Yes, I am lucky to work at Sissinghurst.

Come and stay on our side of Maidstone next time you visit.

Mentioned in this post
Tenterden
Tenterden
Kent, UK
Headcorn
Headcorn
Kent, UK
17. Re: nice pubs in Maidstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2016, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Maidstone
Recent Conversations