We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to London center

Which Dartford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lisboa
Level Contributor
106 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation to London center

Hi,

Who can tell me the best and fast way, to reach the center of London by public transportation?

Waiting for your reply

Best regards

mach4lisboa

16 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to London center

Ther is no 'centre' of London, but a very large central area.(roughly within the Underground Circle Line = yellow line on maps). Where specifically do you want to go

London
Level Contributor
9,700 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to London center

As well as "where do you need to get to" , can you also say where exactly are you starting from. There are many stations around the Dartford area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to London center

If you are really travelling from Dartford (as your choice of forum implies) then the answer to your question for me when I lived there was always by a semi-fast train to Charing Cross, which is close to Trafalgar Square. A semi-fast train is one which includes stops at Woolwich Arsenal and Lewisham, amongst others. If you are not starting your journey from Dartford, other stations may - as mentioned above - be more convenient but you should still be able to get to Charing Cross, albeit possibly on a train that stops at all intermediate stations. To put you on the right track, we really do need some more information from you.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,027 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to London center

There are three different rail lines from Dartford station into London, going to several of the stations in the central zone.

On weekdays and Saturdays there are at least ten trains each hour, taking between 42 and 50 minutes depending on your final destination in the centre of London.

Whch end station is best depends on your final destination. Some places you can easily walk to from the station, for others you may need a bus or the Underground (metro or tube).

You should visit the railway website www.southeasternrailway.co.uk for all the options for trains and ticket prices. Train travel is very expensive in the UK, but there are several passes and season tickets available for regular travellers that reduce the cost.

There is no direct bus service between Dartford and central London.

(To give you a comparison, the distance from Dartford to Central London is exactly the same as the distance from Sintra to the centre of Lisbon. The train from Sintra to Lisbon takes 40 minutes and costs €2,15 normal one way ticket but from Dartford to London will cost £8.20 which is equal to about €9.50!)

5. Re: Transportation to London center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 10:05

Lisboa
Level Contributor
106 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation to London center

Hi!

Thanks for a so prompt reply.

I'm going to spend about a week in Dartford and, during that time, I need to move to London several times, to take care of some personal matters and do some sightseeing, ex: museums, palaces, exhibitions etc. As it's my first time staying out of London, I need help to know how to go back and forth in the fastest, practical and economical way. In London, my business is located in the city centre between, say, Oxford St. and Trafalgar Sq.

Thanks again in advance for some info.

Regards

mach4lisboa

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,441 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation to London center

If you travel after 09.30 Monday-Friday or any time Saturday, Sunday or UK public holidays, a one-day travelcard from Dartford is £12.60. This gives you return travel from Dartford and unlimited travel in the London travecard zones.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,027 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation to London center

London Charing Cross station is situated at Trafalgar Square, so that is easy to reach. Oxford Street area is 1.5km distant.

If you will be travelling every day, a one week all zones Travelcard would be best value. As wirewiper says, if you can avoid travelling before 0930am on weekdays it is a lot less expensive and the trains will be a lost less crowded. Returning from London on weekdays trains are very crowded between 1600 and 2000hrs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation to London center

An all-zones travel card will not help the OP as Dartford is well outside the London travel zones. A weekly pass will be available and the price will depend on exactly what station you are starting from and whether you want to use the highspeed line. Expect to pay around £70-100 for a weekly pass that includes travel around London as well as to and from Dartford.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,377 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation to London center

For information about train times, fares and routes, please see www.nationalrail.co.uk

For information about travelling in London, please see www.tfl.gov

Reply to: Transportation to London center
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dartford