We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Watford for Harry Potter

Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
209 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
One night in Watford for Harry Potter

My husband and I are traveling to England with my mom next May. I'd like to tack on an extra night at the end of our trip to see the Harry Potter Studio in London.

Our plan is to drive from Canterbury, drop my mom off at Heathrow in the morning and then go to Watford. I'm not sure if we should keep the rental car or turn it in and take public transportation over to Watford. If we turn in the rental car then we'll have to request an early check-in at our hotel, whereas if we keep the rental car we can drive straight to the studio for a tour before checking into our hotel.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how we should organize this? If we choose to go with public transport and can't check into our hotel until 2 pm (worst case scenario), would we still have enough time in the afternoon to take a thorough tour of the studio?

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter
Warner Bros. Studio Tour...
33,310 Reviews
Leavesden, UK
London
London
England, UK
Canterbury
Canterbury
Kent, UK
Watford
Watford
Hertfordshire, UK
Likely To Sell Out
London Harry Potter Tour of Warner...
674 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
512 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The...
1,003 Reviews
from US$109.80*
Special Offer
Making of Harry Potter Warner Bros...
129 Reviews
from US$178.30*
US$198.10
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: One night in Watford for Harry Potter

I'm confused. You're driving Mother to LHR one morning, then have the whole afternoon to visit HP, then have to take early flight from LHR the next morning. Would not the sensible option be:

Drop Mum off at LHR and drive to HP Studios (should take about 30 minutes to get there from LHR - HP car park is only open to people visiting the studios and they check everyone's ticket as they enter the car park so theft risk of leaving luggage in car is about as low as it can get)

Drive from HP Studios to LHR in evening and drop off rental car;

Stay in Airport Hotel

Catch shuttle bus/taxi from Airport hotel to terminal for early-morning flight?

Seems the most relaxed way of doing it for me.

Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: One night in Watford for Harry Potter

I am making a journey to England in November to visit the "Making of Harry Potter Tour" at Leavesden studios (I am all set, I already have tickets for the tour, hotel reservations in Watford Junction, etc.). My question is this: I'd like to know the best way to get from Heathrow airport to Watford Junction station. I know that the Green Line 724 is a direct route. Does the 724 stop at Terminal 5 at Heathrow or do I have to get to the Central Bus Station on my own (the Green line website does not indicate this)? There is conflicting information elsewhere on the Internet whether or not this bus has a stop at Terminal 5.

I have read reviews elsewhere that the service on the Green Line has deteriorated in recent years. If anyone could comment on this – I appreciate it.

I would consider hiring a private car service instead of taking a bus and I am interested in recommendations as well.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter
Warner Bros. Studio Tour...
33,310 Reviews
Leavesden, UK
Leavesden
Leavesden
Hertfordshire, UK
Watford
Watford
Hertfordshire, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,314 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: One night in Watford for Harry Potter

For a solo traveller, the 724 is the most cost-effective way. It will drop you right outside Watford Junction Station.

It used to start from Terminal 5, but no longer does so. From Terminal 5, you can use the Heathrow Express train, which is free for travel within the Airport. Get off at the Terminals 1,2,3 station and follow signs to Central Bus Station. Signs in the bus station will tell you which stand it departs from.

The 724 is a long route which passes through a lot of busy areas, so can be affected by the vagaries of traffic congestion. However the buses have long layovers at Heathrow and start from there, so stand a good chance of at least departing on time.

Mentioned in this post
Watford
Watford
Hertfordshire, UK
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Express
932 Reviews
London, UK
Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: One night in Watford for Harry Potter

Thank you -- I would also appreciate any thoughts/recommendations you have on cars for hire from Heathrow to Watford Junction.

Mentioned in this post
Watford
Watford
Hertfordshire, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: One night in Watford for Harry Potter

Do you mean car rental or mini cab? The former option would be very expensive and a lot of hassle but a local Watford taxi firm such as Lucketts or Eagle would do the job for around £35-£40.

Mentioned in this post
Watford
Watford
Hertfordshire, UK
Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: One night in Watford for Harry Potter

Thank you -- I did not mean a car rental (that is, I rent a car to drive myself) -- I meant a taxi or a hired (a car with a driver) service. I forgot how words can get "lost" in translation! ;-)

Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: One night in Watford for Harry Potter

Oh, and thanks for the taxi recommendations!

18. Re: One night in Watford for Harry Potter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:16