We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from the train station?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
326 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from the train station?

In September 2013, we expect we will arrive at Tewkesbury by train from Worcester. Does the bus meet most trains, or are there taxis available? Thank you.

Oxford UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from the train station?

Buses don't meet trains, exactly, but they are frequent (every 15 mins or so - less often evenings/weekends). You need the Stagecoach 41 or 42.

Note that your train will arrive at 'Ashcurch for Tewkesbury'. Ashchurch is a small station - details of facilities are here: nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/ASC…

Washington DC
Level Contributor
326 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from the train station?

Thank you very much, beckysimms.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from the train station?

The bus no longer stops AT the station but it isn't very far - walk along the station approach road to a roundabout, turn left and there's the stop. Traveline SW says it's an 8 minute walk - I'd think about half that in reality

Washington DC
Level Contributor
326 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from the train station?

I appreciate the help. Now I'm wondering if I can do the journey I'm planning by bus. What I am trying to plan is a visit from Worcester (where I will be staying in September 2013) to see Tewksbury abbey, then go on to see Gloucester cathedral, visiting both in the same day. I'd like to return via bus to Worcester from Gloucester. I have looked for the bus schedule, but I can't locate a bus or bus number, or the correct schedule.

I understand how to do this on the train. But I'm curious about the bus. Using the bus would put me in the town of Tewksbury, rather than Ashchurch.

Thank you.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from the train station?

After visiting Tewkesbury Abbey it's easy enough to get a bus to Gloucester - the 72 runs every hour.

But there are no buses from Gloucester to Worcester - you'd need to return by train or change in Tewkesbury and Upton on Severn if you wanted a bus

There are no buses between Worcester and Tewkesbury - you have to change in Upton on Severn

Have a play about on

www.travelinesw.com/swe/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2…

and see what's possible. But I'd guess train to Ashchurch/Tewkesbury, bus to Gloucester and train back is the optimum. The train runs in the evening - most of the buses don't

Stubbington, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from the train station?

Is it possible to walk from the station into twekesbury?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from the train station?

Yes it is - getting on for an hour.

But it's an uninspiring walk - starts off through an industrial estate and then past modern housing along a main road all the way - not sure that there's a footpath all the way either. If there is it's all obstructed by roadworks currently.

Best get the bus

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from the train station?

If you have to change buses in Upton on Severn, try to spare an hour to explore the town. We recently chanced upon it while touring the area, and it's a real unknown gem. Lots of lovely old buildings on a beautiful peaceful stretch of the Severn, and no coach loads of other tourists

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from the train station?

To follow up on #7 - there are no significant gaps in the footpath on the walk into town

And today the roadworks were not overflowing onto the footpath as they were a week or so back. They are not finished though.

Stubbington, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from the train station?

Thanks all. I will try the bus first and observe the path from the window! Then I might walk back!

Get answers to your questions about Tewkesbury