We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inaccuracy of hotel, restaurant etc locations in the area.

Which Solihull hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
85 reviews
Save Topic
Inaccuracy of hotel, restaurant etc locations in the area.

The vast majority of hotels, restaurants, attractions etc are not shown in their correct locations on the map. Most are miles away from where they should be and there are a number who should be in Birmingham. Whoever located the labels has no knowledge of Solihull, Knowle, Dorridge, Bentley Heath, Catherine-de-Barnes, Barston etc. A foreign or UK visitor who has not visited the area before will be confused. Having recently returned from Canada where we found hotels and restaurants in Brockville, Ottawa and Toronto etc all correctly located I am ashamed that my area information is virtually useless. Who is responsible for locating the establishments? What can be done? Who should do it?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
731 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inaccuracy of hotel, restaurant etc locations in the area.

I had observed the same as you and commented on it in the TA Support forum, particularly in relation to things in the Midlands like Solihul, Wolverhampton and so on. I've found that it can be fixed by following the advice given in the Help Centre FAQs (at the bottom of the page). This includes updating the address yourself, which might be inaccurate. Using the appropriate form to alert TA support for the Hotels in the wrong continent.

The reason often is, that the person who originally put the first review in - i.e informed TA about a place, did not give the correct information in the first place, and it is up to those that follow to put it right. The TA people them selves are in Massachusetts, so do not have our local expert knowledge to know which contributor is right and which one is wrong.

I've been persistent in getting those in about three towns made right but its taken about two months!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,713 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inaccuracy of hotel, restaurant etc locations in the area.

This worked for me,but it was a lot of work to get the coordinates correct and some months before the 40 or so had correct map positions:-

I used this post from TA_Wes (on March 8th) to solve the incorrect position of 40 items at my Destination

"Hi silverswimmer,

Thanks for posting about this issue you are seeing.

To update a properties location, please fill out this form:

www.tripadvisor.com/ContactUs…

Please submit the URL for the listing that you are trying to fix, and if you could,

use this site to find the exact coordinates for the property:

http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html

Once you do so, can you post the decimal coordinates in the email.

I will be awaiting your response.

Thanks for the help,

TA_Wes"

3. Re: Inaccuracy of hotel, restaurant etc locations in the area.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2011, 06:42