We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting places near Preston uk

Which Preston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
malta europe
Level Contributor
5 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting places near Preston uk

I have a day off during my 7 day tour in Preston and I want to use it to the full.I was thinking of going to London.Is this feasible for a one day ecxursion or would it be too much of a hassle?Can you suggest other options perhaps nearer.I am interested in picturesque medieval towns.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting places near Preston uk

Hi,

Chester and York are two possible day trips. There are direct trains from Preston to York, with an off peak return fares of £25.00. Chester is nearer, but the journey would require one change of trains, the off peak return fare is £20.40.

Good luck!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting places near Preston uk

London is definitely do-able as a day out from Preston - if you pick the fast train that doesnt stop after Warrington the journey is only 2hrs 15 mins. York and Chester are good suggestions but York is about 2.5 hours and Chester between an 1 hr and 1.5 hrs.

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
420 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting places near Preston uk

I would agree that London is doable.You can get the 5.53 from Preston and be in London by 7:57 whilst returning you can make it back on the 21:10 with a return time of 23:44.

On the very local scale Garstang is a popular option that is barely 15 miles north on the A6 and would definitely fit the quaint English town box. If you are after picturesque then how about the Lake District? The South Lakes is 1hour in a car, or direct trains run to Oxenholme with a raft of connections on from there.

One of the most beautiful days out would be to Ullswater, where you can visit the aquarium and then travel on Steam train, steam paddle boat and then across the lake to Bowness.

http://www.lakesaquarium.co.uk/

Happy planning, any other questions feel free to throw them out there.

Bill

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
546 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting places near Preston uk

Maybe Lancaster? Easily reached from Preston by train or by road. Not sure whether it falls into the 'quaint' category, but it's certainly historic.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,921 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting places near Preston uk

If you want to go to Chester then you could buy a return from Preston to Liverpool for £11.30 and then buy an All Zones Saverway in Liverpool for £4.60 (available from the ticket office at Liverpool Lime Street station) which is valid on the Merseyrail trains.

Direct trains from Preston to Liverpool take just under an hour, or if you change at Wigan it will take just over an hour. The Merseyrail train can be caught from Liverpool Lime Street station and takes about 40 minutes to Chester.

It is quicker to go the suggested route on the National Rail website via Warrington and is only £4.50 more than going via Liverpool, but if you leave Preston early enough then you could also spend a bit of time in Liverpool too. It isn't a "picturesque medieval town" but has some nice architecture like St George's Hall and Albert Dock (the largest single collection of grade 1 listed buidlings in the UK).

Edited: 24 June 2011, 11:21
Rossendale, UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting places near Preston uk

London is possible by train in a day, but expensive, and a bit overwhelming if you don't have much time. Liverpool is worth a look, as is Manchester. Manchester is 40 mins away by train, excellent shopping, and an attractive town hall. I personally don't understand why, but all my visitors want to visit Old Trafford.

I would add Harrogate and Skipton to the list, smaller more relaxed towns, with Victorian character.

7. Re: Interesting places near Preston uk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Preston