We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Cars/Trains

Which Preston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help - Cars/Trains

Does anyone know if there is are car hire companies located right at Preston Station? If there are car hires at Lancaster, which companies operate there, and what would their hours be?

Trying to decide between dropping a car picked up elsewhere at either Preston or Lancaster station, where we will be picking up a train to London - can't find any information online so far. Thanks!!

lancs
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Cars/Trains

Try arnoldclarkrental.com its about 10/15 mins walk from preston train station on hartington road, or 5 mins in a taxi. pr1 8pq if you want to look on google maps.

I dont know what they are like i just drive past it twice a week but its the nearest one i know.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Cars/Trains

Thanks for the reply - it is good to know how things are set up around Preston. Still, lugging around all our gear and our packs plus I'm travelling with children and would prefer just to drop the car right at a station. I'm hoping there will be another station around that will work.

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
421 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Cars/Trains

Nothing directly at either station I'm afraid. You might be better trying Manchester or Liverpool.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - Cars/Trains

Why not just drop the family off at whichever train station you choose then the driver takes the car to the car rental and gets a taxi back or asks if the car rental place will take them back to the station.

I'd pick the station by the timing of the train you want to catch. London trains coming south from Scotland on the West Coast Mainline route all stop at Carlisle Lancaster and Preston and I think alternate ones stop at Penrith or Oxenholme. This would be one train into London Euston.

Blackpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
582 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - Cars/Trains

A longshot!! From Preston you could take the Blackpool South train from Platform 1 to Squires Gate Station. There is car Hire less than 5 minutes walk from the station at Blackpool Airport. (NB There is only 1 train per hour leaving at 2 minutes after the hour) Then drive to Blackpool Pleasure Beach (2 minutes drive) where the children (And the 'big' kids can let off steam for the day!!

Edited: 10 July 2013, 11:47
6. Re: Help - Cars/Trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2017, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Preston