We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel or B&B near Bretherton

Dublin, Georgia
1 post
Save Topic
Hotel or B&B near Bretherton

I am traveling in the Lancashire area for a meeting near Bretherton. I am looking for a B&B in an area that has easy access to restaurants/pubs and maybe some a sights or two to see in the afternoon after my meeting. I will be arriving at noon on one day and the meeting is the following morning. Only needing 1 night - headed to York following for another meeting. We will have a rental car so I am not looking for access to train stations.

I have been to England twice on vacation but this is a business trip. My sister is joining me and has never been to England. While our time is limited, I would love to show her some sights and let her experience England in any down time we have. I am not really looking for a hotel like an Ibis, wanting something more quaint.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel or B&B near Bretherton

Google "hotels near Bretherton'. Booking.com bring up a good selection. Come back to us if you like when you have narrowed down your choice.

Roads in the area are good.so 6 or 10 miles away would not be a problem. It is a pleasant part of the country Rufford Old Hall is well worth a visit if you have time .

Do go to York via the A59 which goes through beautiful scenery - Ribble Valley, Pendle Hill, Yorkshire Dales. You could not do better than take a quick look at some of the places en route -Clitheroe and its castle, West Marston , Skipton, Harrogate, Knaresborough...

Edited: 08 May 2014, 08:35
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel or B&B near Bretherton

Meant East, - not west - Marton. Nice pub The Cross Keys with lovely views of colourful boats on canal. Good half way point for a break.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 09:01
preston, england
Level Contributor
240 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel or B&B near Bretherton

How far do you want to be from bretherton? Time wise. Also what class hotel or B and B. Southport is only 10 miles away and that has a couple of very nice hotels but they will be expensive. Looking on tripadvisor there are a few small bed and breakfast places around here that look ok.

preston, england
Level Contributor
240 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel or B&B near Bretherton

Right, just looked at some options for you.

Longton- Meadowside BandB looks very nice, on a quiet lane from near where I was brought up. I didn't know it was a BandB until looking for you. You could walk for a meal and a beer if you wanted, the village is pretty ordinary though and no sights apart from the nature reserve across the road from the BandB. There are a number of decent restaurants within a 5 minute drive.

Rufford Arms is certainly good for food and the hotel looks ok, but very little in close proximity to it apart from Rufford old hall, which would be worth a look around. Its about 5 minutes in a car to Bretherton.

Southport has 2 very good hotels The Vincent has Liverpool Fc footballers regularly popping in for food. and has great reviews. Also the Ramada Plaza looks a nice hotel. You could have a wander around Southport and look for the sea on the beach if wanted.

If it was me, I would go to either Longton or The Vincent.

5. Re: Hotel or B&B near Bretherton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2017, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Preston