We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lancaster never again

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spain
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lancaster never again

I had spent 12 wonderful days at the lakes.

I felt I should spend half day in Lancaster on Saturday as my flight from Manchester airport was an early one on Sunday. I got into Lancaster at about 9.00am and to my surprise i could not leave my luggage at the station,then they assured me I could easily leave then in a hotel or at the tourist information office.....

So, I carried my luggage up and down asking at the nearby bed and breakfast places to leave my cases but unfortunately I arrived as far as the tourist information without any luck......waited there till 10.00 opening time.....and still no good!! I could not believe it.

I then asked at some hotels nearby and the answers were no!! I even told them I would leave my identity card and flight ticket till I was back after mytime in Lancaster but.. no way!!

I feel so fustrated I pay my ticket specially to go to Lancaster to feel that frustrated and get so much tired that I feel everyone should know about it...

I felt so unwellcome carring my cases on the rain on my way back to the station that don't want to hear about Lancaster again.

Luisa

Rugeley, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lancaster never again

Hello Luisa

I was so appalled to read your comments I have forwarded them on to the Lancaster City Council who should be trying to encourage people to visit the area.

Peter

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lancaster never again

It doesn't sound as if you checked this out ahead of time. Lesson learned.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lancaster never again

Left luggage places are rare in the UK, because people blow them up unless the venue can afford airport-style x-ray security. You problem is not related to Lancaster. it would have been the same nearly everywhere in the UK outside of London, where the main stations do have secure left luggage facilities.

Spain
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lancaster never again

Thank you Peter for taking the trouble

to forward it on to the City Council.

It's a pity we have to bear these situations. I know its due to security.

That's why tourits places, which are not big cities or capitals, should also

do something to encourage people to get to know their places.

Luisa

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lancaster never again

If people visit Lancaster (or anywhere), they usually have little luggage (day trippers) or leave it at their hotel / B&B.

Very few people, I believe, visit somewhere for the day with heavy luggage.

So possibly that is why there were no facilities for you.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,410 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lancaster never again

I think you are being a little naive. I am not surprised at anyone being cautious about taking care of large luggage cases from an unknown foreign national. The fear of a terrorist is not unfounded..

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lancaster never again

With all the terrorist incidents over the years in Spain, I'm amazed you were so naive about leaving large cases with people who didn't know you,and with whom you had no relationship, for example, you hadnt stayed at a hotel but expected them to look after your cases. Had they been explosive devices your ID card and flight ticket would not have stopped them exploding, so no, I'm not at all surprised this didnt convince anyone.

And as per previous responses this isnt anything to do with Lancaster (though this seems a bizarre place to choose, hardly what I'd call a tourism centre) and you would have found the same elsewhere. The number of people turning up with suitcases per year in Lancaster to drop off for a few hours on their way to an airport is probably clsoe to - er, one, you, , so I'm also not surprised they haven't put in x ray machines and similar facilities to cater for that lack of demand.

Edited: 04 December 2009, 19:23
8. Re: Lancaster never again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2010, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
Recent Conversations