We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greetings from Lancaster, PA

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Greetings from Lancaster, PA

Named, of course, after your fine town. There are plenty of Lancasters in the US, but to my knowledge, ours is the only one pronounced LANC-a-ster (the others are Laang-CAS-ters.) The Red Rose city pays annual rent of one red rose in an elaborate ceremony.

Lancaster is the oldest inland city in the US (chartered as a city in 1742). Was the home of a US president (James Buchanan) & our county is a major tourist destination because of the Pennsylvania-German (Amish & Mennonite)population.

We have but one "English Pub" named "Quips" where one can enjoy bangers & mash, cottage pie, & of course fish'n'chips (don't know how authentic they are!). New Castle brown ale on tap.

We also have a city named York about 30 miles away (the White Rose City). We have annual "War of the Roses" sports rivalries with them.

Please visit us if ever in the 'states.

Cheers!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greetings from Lancaster, PA

Greetings!

My daughter is at Lancaster University so I cross the Pennnines regularly to visit her.

Actually 'our' Lancaster is pronounced different ways in England depending if you are from 'oop north' or a southerner like me (in exile).

It seems a nice place, and I like its close proximity to the beautiful Lake District (something that doesn't seem to concern my daughter in the slightest!).

Have you tried the English dishes in your pub? Cottage pie should be made of minced beef, and shephered's pie minced lamb.

I'm always crusading about our British food - done properly and it's great. Trouble is, it's so often not done right!

M

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greetings from Lancaster, PA

Hello Paddlinunit.

I had the pleasure of visiting Lancaster, PA for a couple of days last year. I recommend it as a place to visit. For anyone interested in quilting, there are some first class examples available. I don't just mean the usual tourist stuff but soem genuinely creative new works too.

I didn't get to Quips to try the bangers and mash but did enjoy the smorgasbord at Millers in Strasburg. And I loved the market at Bird in Hand.

Hope to see you in the UK sometime.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greetings from Lancaster, PA

Would be very interested to know the local pronunciations, if you can try to spell them.

Also, so glad the last poster tried one of our PA-Dutch smorgasbords instead of the pub...you can eat your bangers & mash anytime (and no lamb in their shepherd's pies!)

Yes, we are probably the handmade quilt capital of the world; the fire companies have quilt auctions every spring as fundraisers. Most have been made throughout the year at quilting bees by the various ladies auxilliaries (many Amish but not entirely). Most are based on centuries-old designs but always a few creative (modern) styles also. You can always find our local quilts on ebay.

My wife wants to know: At your pubs, are beers and ales served at room temp?...she remembers stories of being unable to find ice for drinks in hot weather.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greetings from Lancaster, PA

PS: Morgana:

My very first auto was a Morgan...I'll bet even in your home country you don't see one of those very often!

Lancaster
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Greetings from Lancaster, PA

In response to the ice question. Yes, in the 1970s it was difficult to find ice for drinks in pubs. Not the same now - every pub, even the most primitive will have an ice machine and plenty of ice on offer. My wife is American and the major difference between the American bar and authentic British bar is the range of drinks. In the UK we serve cask ale which is a "live" product and not pasteurised - it is served at circa 13 degrees celsius because at that temperature the malt and hops tastes come out, although to an American, used to mega cold Bud, it tastes warm.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greetings from Lancaster, PA

A few Morgans around, and they always turn heads.

My husband (from Lancashire) pronounces it Lan - Carster, splitting the word up almost (even though that first 'r' isn't there! I am from southern England and pronounce it as yours is pronounced.

Unfortunately Morgana isn't my 'real' name - it's taken from the sorceress in Arthurian Legend. And it seems appropriate when my kids reckon I'm an old witch!

York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greetings from Lancaster, PA

Most locals seem to pronounce it "LANG-cuh-stuh" rather than "LANG-carster" - that is, making the last two vowels into schwas.

Definitely stress the first syllable though.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greetings from Lancaster, PA

I had to reply to this post as its so funny! I am very local, quite an accent as well and I simply pronounce it as it is spelt!

Lan - cast - er !

Zo

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greetings from Lancaster, PA

i'm with you littlemisstraveller

Lan cast er born and bred

10. Re: Greetings from Lancaster, PA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
Recent Conversations