We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed - Travelodge Central 24 hour parking for 2 days

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
987 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed - Travelodge Central 24 hour parking for 2 days

Please can someone recommend a secure car park for 2 days whilst I stay at the travelodge central.

Many thanks

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed - Travelodge Central 24 hour parking for 2 days

Hi grinnaslee,

There is a small open air car park right across from the hotel, but it's only designated as a short stay car park.

If you want a more secure undercover car park then try this place,

http://parksafesystems.com/lancaster.html

It's called Parksafe, and although located about 10 minutes walk away is probably your best bet. It is situated immediately left as you turn onto St Georges Quay, from the one way system. It will set you back about £12 for 24 hours, but is supposed to be very secure.

Have a great time in Lancaster and if you need any more info, or want to know the best places to eat and drink, just shout up.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed - Travelodge Central 24 hour parking for 2 days

Many thanks kebabman. I have also heard that the railway station has secure parking and it's cheaper. Would you recommend this option? How far is the station from the hotel?

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed - Travelodge Central 24 hour parking for 2 days

Ah yes, the train station car park, I'd forgotten about that one, and I think it's about £6 a day. Distance wise there is probably not much in it, parksafe probably a little nearer.

The train station is an outdoor car park with a barrier on it, but not as secure as Parksafe which has a shed load of CCTV and is under cover. You also need your parking ticket to get back into the car park, so it keeps the great unwashed out.

I suppose it depends on your motor. If it's a soft top or has a valuble stereo in it I'd opt for parksafe, but if it's just a standard motor then the station will be OK. I'm not aware of any bouts of car theft in the area at the moment, but it's like any City, there are scroates about.

If you want other car parking options, this site should help you.

http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/

It seems to list private drives that are available to rent too, which might suit you.

Enjoy your stay!

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed - Travelodge Central 24 hour parking for 2 days

Thanks Kebabman.

I went to Lancaster University along time ago, its where I met my wife so we are goign back for a weekend. We normally stay at Lancaster House Hotel but decided to try the centre this time. I assume that the Travelodge is where the cinema used to be? I know parking used to be a pain with mainly short stay car parks, I think the one at the bottom of the hill will be finr but a little bit of a trek up hill for me and my pregnant wife. Do you know if the multi story is still there near marks and spencer and if so is that 24 hour parking? I am also looking for somewhere nice to eat can you recommend a few restaurants, willing to pay if the food is good.

Many thanks for all your help.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed - Travelodge Central 24 hour parking for 2 days

You are spot on with the location of the Travelodge and the Multi Story is still there, but it does shut around 6.00 pm. If you do park in Parksafe there is a pedestrian entrance that comes out near the top of the hill, but another option is for you to walk to the Taxi Rank, which is a 2 minute walk, next to the bus station and jump in a cab.

Unfortunately Lancaster has a huge traffic problem, and if you are arriving at rush hour on a Friday, you will be sat in the one way system for a while.

As for restaurants, you will be spoiled for choice. As you probably know, Lancaster is very vibrant of an evening with all the students. If you have any specific types of food you fancy, let me know, and I'll point you in the right direction.

There are a few Thai restaurants in town that have sprung up recently, and all seem popular. If you fancy something more traditional, then a favourite place of mine to eat is The Waterwitch, down by the canal, which is more of a gastro pub than it used to be, where you will be very well looked after. Food and drink is spot on.

Another good gastro pub to eat is the Bourough in Dalton Square, which was probably called the Blob Shop when you were at University. Gordon Ramsey ate there when he was filming in the area, and he liked the food!

Another eatery that comes highly recommended is the recently opened Chop House restaurant which is at the top of Church Street and is the old Masons Lodge. The Gatehouse restaurant is also good, but the service can be a little slow.

Of course there are a few Curry Houses, Chinese and Italians in town as well. Best bet is to trawl the Restaurant section on this website and take a look at the reviews.

Wherever you go, I'm sure you will have a great time. Enjoy your time in Lancaster.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed - Travelodge Central 24 hour parking for 2 days

Kebabaman.

We are going Thursday night until sat and will arrive about 8:00 on Thursday.

I do remember the blobshop, it was a little bar that served food when I was at uni, they also served blobs which I seem to remember were a hot drink with sugar cubes in them.

I also used to go to the water witch, it was one of our favourites. I will defiantly go there for lunch on one of the days thanks.

The Thai restaurants sound nice, can you recommend the best one.

Thanks for all the advice.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed - Travelodge Central 24 hour parking for 2 days

The best Thai in Lancaster at the moment seems to be the Blue Moon, which is situated on the ground floor of a new building on Rosemary Lane, opposite Lamberts Camera Shop, and round the corner from the Stonewell Tavern. I've not eaten there myself but have spoken to a couple of people that rate it highly. Reviews on this website are very good too. The Thai that I have eaten in is the Mung Me, which at the time, some months ago, was very good, but the latest reviews would suggest that it's gone off the boil a little now.

Glad that you remember the Waterwitch, it was mainly a student haunt when it first opened. It was then owned by the folk that own Lancaster Brewery, and has since been taken over by Mitchells. Clients now are very varied and range from the students to middle aged and older folk (like me!) who appreciate the great beer and food that they serve there. If you do nip in for lunch, Emma, the Landlady, and her team will look after you very well.

You even remembered the "Blobs" they used to serve at the blob shop. Long gone unfortunately, but the pub is still there, just with a different name. Food is good and they have a great "Secret" beer garden out the back if the weather is nice.

Glad to help out with the advice, if you need any more, just ask.

Cheers!

8. Re: Help needed - Travelodge Central 24 hour parking for 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2017, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
Recent Conversations