We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Kite / Buzzard sightings

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Red Kite / Buzzard sightings

I'm just trying to figure out somewhere to go for the day with the chance of photographing these birds. Has anyone seen any lately in the area?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Kite / Buzzard sightings

Hi

I know where you can see them in West Yorkshire - is that too far away?

At Eccup Reservoir, just outside Leeds, there is a bird hide and you can usually see them flying across the reservoir. I have also seen them when I have been a Harewood House, 5 minutes drive from Eccup. Although Harewood House itself is closed for the season, you can walk for free across a lot of the parkland on bridlepaths and rights of way.

I see the red kites flying overhead most days when I drive into work (I work in Leeds). They often seem to be flying over a field that contains a herd of deer, not sure why though (attracted by food left out for the deer perhaps?).

These websites might be of interest -

www.yorkshirewater.com/?OBH=484&ID=1154&OBT=1

www.nature.harrogate.net/features/redkite.htm

Mentioned in this post
West Yorkshire
West Yorkshire
Yorkshire, UK
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Kite / Buzzard sightings

Thanks for the advice, i thought the area around Harewood House would be best because that area was involved with the recent release program.

Is it around there that you see them when you are on your way to work?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Kite / Buzzard sightings

saw one close to ramada jarvis parkway hotel, leeds (on way to leeds/bradford airport)..

between bramhope and golden acre park

York
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Kite / Buzzard sightings

I saw a Red Kite hunting low over the M1 the other day, just before it joins the A1 at Aberford in West Yorkshire. Nearly crashed the car looking at it. I have also seen them over the A64 just on the Leeds side of the A1 so around Bramham Park. A good road to see them from is the A659 from Collingham to Pool through Harewood, especially after where it leaves the A61 at the bottom of Harewood Bank.

Mentioned in this post
West Yorkshire
West Yorkshire
Yorkshire, UK
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Kite / Buzzard sightings

You can also spot them quite often on the old A1 between Kirk Deighton and Wetherby. But Harewood is definitley the best spot.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Kite / Buzzard sightings

Yes, I drive from Harrogate to Leeds each day and see them anywhere from the bridge across the Wharfe (just past there are the deer in the field) to Eccup, along the A61.

However, the nearest I saw them was walking through the Harewood Estate - it was a winter's afternoon and the sun was beginning to go down and they were flying just above our heads. The sun on the feathers made me see why they are called 'red' kites.

I am not a bird watcher but I have seen and spoken to bird watchers on the Harewood estate (in the summer we sometimes stop for a stroll in the park after work - it's very beautiful). A chap last year pointed out a woodpecker to us which we would have missed.

The hide at Eccup reservoir is specifically to try and spot the kites by the way - there's an information board etc.

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Kite / Buzzard sightings

Thanks for all the help, i am going to go up to Eccup Res on Friday morning nice and early and then off to IKEA (boo!).

Ibviously i have never been to Eccup Res so is there anything i need to know about parking rates or an opening time or where to park?

Thanks in advance.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Kite / Buzzard sightings

Just to add - i checked the Harewood Estate website and low season starts on Friday 16th March

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Red Kite / Buzzard sightings

Hi

This link should help with your parking - we always park along Alwoodley Lane. It's a residential area but dead posh and the road is very wide so no probs getting parked. From the lane there are footpath signs so if you park close to one of them you'll only have a short walk to the reservoir.

Here's the link -

www.yorkshirewater.com/?OBH=522&ID=3532

Hope you are successful - let us know how you get on.

Northants, UK
Level Contributor
308 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Red Kite / Buzzard sightings

By the way, I see buzzards every day in Northamptonshire.

I am a Primary School teacher; yesterday a buzzard was circling over our school in Daventry. I called to the children lining up to come in after morning break, 'look a buzzard'. The reply came, 'no, it's a bird'.