We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch venues

birmingham
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch venues

I don ,t know Doncaster at all so where are the best places to have lunch? I don ,t mind if its hotels, village pubs etc. Are there any good thai resturants? I am a bit of a foodie so any help in this would be gratefully received.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch venues

As a ' bit of a foodie', I wouldn't eat in Doncaster!!

Kind of short of good restaurants of any kind.

Rothewell's fish and chips on Market rd is the real deal--not fancy, but good.

Wokmainia noodle bar on the High street is popular.

Doncaster is kind of short on Thais so any Thai restaurant is not likely to be authentic, not sure if there is one anyway.

Wish I could recommend any pubs for food but I can't, sorry.

Bawtry
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch venues

WOOD'S at Wood Street is very good. I have enjoyed meals there.I certainly love my food as well !

uk
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch venues

Oh dear Anemone, you don't know Doncaster very well at all do you?

Yes, Rothwells do excellent fish & chips but there is a lot more out there:

A real 'foodie' will love the Cadeby Inn, this is a village pub situated about 7 miles from the town centre, lovely relaxed contemporary decor with open fires and an excellent fresh menu.

Avoid Wokmania - a chain restaurant and, although popular with families for a cheap meal, it tends to be freezer to microwave standard fare. Far better is China Palace on Silver Street - delicious freshly cooked Cantonese food in a spotless environment which is used by the local Chinese community - what a recommendation,

As previous, Woods Restaurant on Wood Street is a quaint little place with very nice home cooking.

The Chefs Table on Copley Road is really good but only open Thurs/Fri/Sat and usually by prior reservation only - they only use locally sourced fresh produce - of course Doncaster Market is on the door step with one of the biggest and best food outlets in the Country - visit their magnificent Fish Market and International Food Hall for some fantastic produce - a good afternoon out.

The Bangkok Royal Elephant on Nether Hall Road does great Thai food.

I could go on and on about food in Doncaster but to narrow it down, I really would suggest the Cadeby Inn for your lunch.

Hope this helps - enjoy yourself.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch venues

Please do go on and on about the wonderful food in Doncaster, as I have never found any there and neither have people I know who have been here lots longer than me!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch venues

And while the market is nice and has good meat and fish, I doubt the OP iis intending to take it all home and cook the lunch him/her self!

Bawtry
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch venues

I agree with Taisy

uk
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch venues

Thank you SaintLeger - there ARE some very good restaurants/bars/pubs in Doncaster aren't there.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers Anemone.

I am assuming Summer07 is on a short trip and I therefore suggested a few places which would appeal to him/her - including a visit to the Market - a 'foodies' dream - for some unusual produce to take home.

The whole topic of 'good food' is rather subjective but, with the great variery of places to eat out in Doncaster, there is something for everyone to enjoy, from those I have previously mentioned to Manana Manana (tapas) on Lazarus Court, Le Bistro on East Laithe Gate, Fratellis Sicilian on Nether Hall Road, Toast on Priory Walk and Opera Ristorante in Waterdale.

Decent inexpensive pub food can be found inThe Salutation (South Parade), Courtyard (Market Place), plus Edwards and Hogshead on Hallgate.

Then there are some very good out of town bars and restaurants - Tickhill, Bawtry, Sprotborough, Everton etc.

But going back to my previous posting, I think Summer07 would enjoy the quality food and ambience at the Cadeby Inn if he/she is looking for a leisurely lunch.

I hope Summer07 enjoys his/her visit to Doncaster and I am sure SaintLeger will agree.

Best Regards

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch venues

Hi Summer ~> I have been through this area before and look forward to visiting it again since some of my wife's ancestors came from Durham we just would like to see that whole area.

I was wondering if it was worthwhile staying in Doncaster? I'm still a bit confused if the food is good or bad in Doncaster. We certainly don't want to have food poisoning on our holiday. I doubt that we will have eat in facilities so cooking our own fish would be out of the question. Thanks for posting your concerns Anemone I will certainly give this serious consideration when in that area.

Bawtry
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch venues

Stay at

Stay at The Mount Pleasant Hotel, between Doncaster And Bawtry.It is a really nice place and very picturesque.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch venues

Ta Leger you're a Saint.

I live in a fairly large city so I really do prefer when on holiday to find small quaint places to stay. I'm not always into the big city thing when I go away. It's my time to get away from the city and enjoy some pastoral surroundings.