We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cotswold Reviews - Is it just me?

Which Chipping Campden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
280 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Cotswold Reviews - Is it just me?

Does anyone else notice that there seems to be a high number of 5* reviews from "one time only" reviewers in the last few months? Particularly for new cotswold establishments.

Saying you had a great time is fair enough, but some of these reviews are just so over the top. And where the reviewer has only posted the once, and never again, it just makes me wonder...

Is it just me?

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cotswold Reviews - Is it just me?

No, it is not just you who has noticed .......

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
280 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cotswold Reviews - Is it just me?

I was beginning to think I was! Thanks TraditionalValue.

I have mentioned it to TA some weeks back but got no response.

I just don't think it's acceptable - people use this site to obtain genuine, honest feedback about the places they are planning to stay....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cotswold Reviews - Is it just me?

On reading your post I checked out a couple of places too. You are disappointingly correct. How do we get a true picture?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cotswold Reviews - Is it just me?

The answer is to ignore all reviews from first-time one-off reviewers, and factor in that the hotel proprietors may be dishonest as well. Anything that mentions the "charming owners" by name several times, also sets my alarm bells ringing.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cotswold Reviews - Is it just me?

There seem to be a lot of first time reviewers. Also, many who at least have done reviews on other establishments have made no contributions to forums. I have hardly found any who contribute.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cotswold Reviews - Is it just me?

This is a problem that TA can't seem to solve, so we have to do as joe suggests and simply ignore one-time reviewers and anything over-the-top. A one-timer trashing a place also looks suspicious to me.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cotswold Reviews - Is it just me?

"This is a problem that TA can't seem to solve"

Not surprising when they even delete (not stop but actually remove) threads mentioning it in reference to a specific hotel in Mykonos, Greece (and maybe elsewhere as well)

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
103 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cotswold Reviews - Is it just me?

Hi, I think you have provided the best solution, i.e. point it out in the forum so people like me could me aware of these skeptical review comments.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,509 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cotswold Reviews - Is it just me?

Marysj has a good point - and the same issue occurs throughout T/A land.

My thoughts are that you have to use the reviews with discretion, and recognize that these are just ordinary folk out roaming the world, same as thee and me.

The commonest fault that strikes me is that some obviously not-well-experienced traveler raves about the best hotel in London, or the best winery in Italy, or the best pizza in Rome, when it is clear from the context that the reviewer doesn't have much experience of any of those places. Further, the reviewers have a naive blind-spot of the fact that in each case, "best" is highly subjective. What makes a great hotel experience for me, may be just so much baloney and waste of money for another.

Mary, I share your frustration over the silly reviews, but I don't see what we can do except exercise the personal judgment to discriminate among the reviews we see.

I personally think that any kind of censorship or inhibition of the offending parties might cause more grief that it helps.

And, Mary, thank you for raising the issue - it is certainly a valid concern.

We plan to visit the Cotswalds during our first trip to England in October, I will probably come to you seeking advice.

Road

10. Re: Cotswold Reviews - Is it just me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 July 2013, 07:24
Get answers to your questions about Chipping Campden