We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel during bank holiday

Which Chipping Campden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
Level Contributor
7 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Travel during bank holiday

Hello,

Can anyone please recommend a way I can get to Bath from Chipping Campden on Monday, May 26, which, I understand, is a bank holiday? I will not have a car during this trip and am relying on public transport. I see that buses and trains are not running on that day. To rent a car and drive is something I would like to avoid, if at all possible. Are taxis an option and if so, about how much would that cost? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel during bank holiday

Trains and buses are running a Sunday service (as they do on every bank holiday apart from Christmas day). By train the route would be Bath -> Reading -> Moreton in Marsh and then a bus or taxi from there. Seems a bit epic but that is what national rail suggests. Someone who knows the area better than me may have more ideas.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel during bank holiday

Where have you seen that buses and trains are not running on the BH Monday? This would be most unusual - trains may be subject to engineering work and changed timetable (possibly with "rail replacement buses") and both may have a Sunday level service rather than that on a working Monday.

As Chipping Campden doesn't have a railway station what were your original plans for this journey?

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel during bank holiday

" I see that buses and trains are not running on that day."

As said above, where did you see that?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel during bank holiday

Chipping Campden has no buses on Sunday and therefore not on Bank Holiday Monday either

The journey is still relatively easy. You need to start off in a taxi to Moreton in Marsh station. About 8 miles, so shouldn't be that much. Or even Honeybourne station - about 5 miles

There's then 3 choices:

get a bus to Cheltenham, walk or another bus to the station then train to Bath

get a train to Oxford, another to Didcot and another to Bath. It should not be necessary to go via Reading

get a train to Worcester and another train to Bath

There are currently well priced advance tickets from Moreton to Bath via either route or from Cheltenham to Bath. You will need to find a way of picking them up BEFORE you get to Chipping Campden though. You cannot do so at Moreton station, nor at Honeybourne. Cheltenham would not be a problem - there are machines there

The FGW site is the one I would use to book.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 11:57
5. Re: Travel during bank holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 13:27
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel during bank holiday

I've deleted my previous post - the bus from Moreton to Cheltenham IS running. Timetable here:

www.pulhamscoaches.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi

philadelphia
Level Contributor
161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel during bank holiday

We took a train from Paddington Station to Moreton-in-Marsh and used www.chippingcampdentaxis.co.uk as our car service all 4 days we were in the Cotswolds. The way to go if you are uncomfortable driving in Britain. Bus service is infrequent.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel during bank holiday

One more thing, Heathrow Express will take you directly to Paddington Station.

Houston
Level Contributor
7 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel during bank holiday

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your helpful responses! I may have wrongly assumed the lack of train service. I was using a door-to-door journey/travel planner website (www.transportdirect.info) which indicated that services that day are subject to public holiday alterations. Consequently, the plan I was given switched me to the next day's first available bus (the itinerary involved a bus and train trip, plus some walking). I am a little more certain about the lack of buses (Johnson coaches) from Chipping Campden due to the holiday.

CheresX, thanks - my plans were to take a train from London Paddington to Moreton-in-Marsh and from there take a Johnson bus (#21 or #22) to Chipping Campden on Saturday, May 24. Hoping to spend the day and next at CC, then move on to Bath on Monday, the 26th - until I realized I may have some problems with public transport because of the bank holiday.

Thank you, dzug, for the suggested options. Those are helpful and I will certainly keep those in mind as I continue planning the trip. As much as Chipping Campden is surely a lovely place to spend extra time, it is good to know I can move on from there to get to Bath via some means of public transport. Can you please tell me what is the FGW site you referred to?

So grateful for TripAdvisor and very helpful fellow travelers (thanks, too, Akkarin and Hooameye). Please let me know if you have further thoughts. Much appreciated!

Houston
Level Contributor
7 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel during bank holiday

Thank you, BettyinPhilly! I have read wonderful reviews about the taxi service you mentioned. I did wonder if I could use that to go to Bath if all else fails. Hopefully the drivers don't take a bank holiday. :-) Am just concerned about the cost. Surely not cheap!

Get answers to your questions about Chipping Campden