We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester United tickets

Brussels, Belgium
13 posts
Save Topic
Manchester United tickets

Hi all,

I would like to buy two Manchester United tickets for some premier league match in autumn 2017(surprise for my boyfriend :-)). I already bought us two memberships, and I saw that the match dates will be released on June 14th.

Now, my questions: I read that for the bigger games, a ballot will be held. I was thinking of buying tickets for some smaller game (to be sure to have something...any advice on which one is welcome !), but also to participate in one or more ballots..but suppose I win a ballot, could I then get rid of the tickets that I already have (in some legal way of course) ? And how slim are the chances to win a ballot?

Final question..I saw that there are also games in the EFL and FA cups..is it worth getting tickets for that? How's the atmosphere compared to premier league matches?

Thanks a lot for any advice !

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Manchester City FC Behind-the-Scenes...
25 Reviews
US$23 per adult
Free Cancellation
The Best in Stand-Up Live Comedy in...
11 Reviews
US$16 per adult
Free Cancellation
Manchester Hop-On Hop-Off Bus...
25 Reviews
US$16 per adult
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,805 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester United tickets

If you finish up with tickets you cannot use you can return them to the club for a refund. There is no legal way to resell tickets to third parties.

manutd.com/pix/emails/Files/2017/Match_Ticke…

Lancashire
Level Contributor
335 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester United tickets

As you rightly say the fixtures won't be announced until June 14th and until then, we won't know who we will be playing at home. Therefore can't recommend one team over another. If you win a ballot but don't want the tickets, you can return them to the club who will refund you when they've resold them. I'm not sure if there's a fee for this.

Most if not all United games are sold out very quickly, except perhaps for the EFL, so this may be your best bet. The FA Cup does not start for United until January.

When the fixtures are released, go for the first game that you could attend and hope. Are you thinking of applying for several at once in the hope of getting tickets for one?

Brussels, Belgium
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester United tickets

Thanks! Good to know I can return tickets (even if there's a small fee, that's ok).

So, on 14th of June, I'll keep a close watch on the website and buy any tickets once I can.

I understood that the matches for which a ballot will be held won't be available on the 14th of June, but only 6-8 weeks before they take place? So if I didn't get any tickets, I could always apply for (one or more) ballots I guess?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,365 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester United tickets

You have bought membership for "next" season 2017/2018 I assume ?

FA Cup will not start until January. For EFL, ManU will not play many of the first team squad. There will also be three Champions League home matches next Autumn, they will be announced separately.

Getting tickets is generally quite a challenge, even for members like me who has been doing it for decades.

For the big balloted matches you have only about 1 in 4 chance of success. (That's because most of the stadium is already sold out to season ticket holders and we members are competing for I guess about only 10,000 seats).

The 6-8 weeks ballot method no longer applies. Last season you could apply in the ballot months beforehand, but they did not actually do the ballot until about 6 or so weeks before the match.

For the normal non-balloted EPL matches, last season it was chaos trying to buy tickets. They were released for sale to the "whole world" a few minutes after the fixtures were announced. ManU's internet booking system could not cope, neither could phone system, the chaos continued for 24+ hours by which time many matches had sold out.

I hope ManU do the initial ticket selling better in June 2017. They need to. Previously they gave existing members first chance to buy tickets. Instead last season they let the whole world buy tickets and then membership at the same time; and the whole world tried to do exactly that. You need to monitor their website for info from early June and (probably) move "very" fast on June 14.

Care - the initial fixture list will have most EPL dates as being Saturday 3pm kick off, plus a few evening matches. Most Saturday matches for ManU will get changed to anything between Friday evening, Sat or Sun various times and Monday evening. It's rare that ManU play at Saturday 3pm. So your travel arrangements need to be flexible.

Brussels, Belgium
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester United tickets

Yes, I've just bought the memberships (Lite), it's written 17/18 :-)

Thanks for your advice, I thought as a member it should be realistic to obtain tickets for some non-balloted match but it does sounds like a challenge :-( Let's hope you're right and they'll change the tickets selling system!

Is there some fixed time frame (say, 4 or 6 weeks before the match) after which the match time will not change any more?

Lancashire
Level Contributor
335 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester United tickets

Once the kick off times are changed from the 3pm Saturday slots, they don't usually change again as the change are due to TV demands. The matches against the lower teams in the league are more likely to stay at 3pm Saturday, but this is not a given.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester United tickets

They usually announce a block of TV games which covers 4-6 weeks. They generally announce those about 4 weeks before. The only way games get changed after the TV announcements is for cup games, replays or postponements. This is rare though.

As you now have memberships be ready on June 14th. As stated, last year was very busy online or on the phone. I have a season ticket, so I don't have to worry, but I tried logging on for something and it took ages. What ever is available you can buy. I would suggest whichever games you are buying, have the whole weekend free. This could include any time from Friday night to Monday night and the days and varying times in between.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester United tickets

Just to add, the big games will be balloted. So if you are after one of those, you will be lucky to get one. I would opt for whatever you see availability for.

Level Contributor
4,989 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester United tickets

Hi garnet, try contacting Coppens Hein Herlinckhove +32 475 736538, info@flandersmancinians.be. Mayb able to help or know where you can get tkts, there are always spares even for the big games

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
960 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester United tickets

@KWUK, would be nice if they did do the ticketing differently, but I fear not going by how they've worded the info on the ticket news section. Here's for another painful wait to get on to the system online to the be told your membership is invalid....