We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Manchester train ticket

12 posts
Save Topic
London to Manchester train ticket

Hi, I tried to buy train ticket online from London to Manchester and return via Virgin or the trainline on Dec 26, however they said no ticket is available on that day. What should I do? I want to bring my boy to watch the game on Dec 26 (no ticket yet), if can't buy a ticket, may bring him to have a look at old trafford. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Manchester City FC Behind-the-Scenes...
25 Reviews
from US$22.90*
Free Cancellation
The Best in Stand-Up Live Comedy in...
11 Reviews
from US$16.20*
Free Cancellation
Manchester Hop-On Hop-Off Bus...
25 Reviews
from US$16.20*
29 replies to this topic
Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
245 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Manchester train ticket

No trains on the 26th December anywhere.

Might be a coach but don't think I would fancy that.

Might be a flight but you still have a problem getting to and from the airports.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Manchester train ticket

Jenny the Trainline is not generally liked on here as they are only a ticket agency and charge you.

Look at the Virgin site or www.nationalrail.co.uk

Anyway as mentioned no trains that day.

www.nationalexpress.com for coaches

Edited: 21 September 2017, 08:18
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,413 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Manchester train ticket

26th December is one of the two days in the year (the other being the 25th) when virtually no trains operate in the United Kingdom. Although a lot of us would like a decent level of train service on Boxing Day, it is unlikely to happen soon as there is no will for it to happen from either Government or most of the rail industry (there are a few honourable exceptions, although Virgin Trains is not one of them).

If you want to travel London to Manchester and back on 26th December - assuming you can even get tickets for this match in the first place - you will need to use either a National Express or Megabus coach, a Supporters' club coach, or self-drive. If it's just for a look at the Stadium, I wouldn't bother - we have loads of them here in London.

Edited: 21 September 2017, 08:29
Mentioned in this post
Virgin Trains
Virgin Trains
1,045 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Manchester train ticket

Too late to edit!

Tickets will be like Gold Dust and do be careful where you try and buy them from!

Edited: 21 September 2017, 08:33
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Manchester train ticket

Thank you all your replied. I live in Hong Kong. I am planning to bring my family to London on Dec 20, and planning to bring my son to visit MU football game or stadium as he is a super fan of MU. If there is no train operates on Dec 25 & 26. Should I go to Manchester on Dec 23 just for a look at the MU stadium and any souvniers from the stadium. Any suggestion?? Thanks

Regards,

Jenny

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Manchester train ticket

Thank you all your replied. I live in Hong Kong. I am planning to bring my family to London on Dec 20, and planning to bring my son to visit MU football game or stadium as he is a super fan of MU. If there is no train operates on Dec 25 & 26. Should I go to Manchester on Dec 23 just for a look at the MU stadium and any souvniers from the stadium. Any suggestion?? Thanks

Regards,

Jenny

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Chester,England
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Manchester train ticket

If you want to travel on the 23rd.book now. You should find fares on the Virgin trains website for £46 return.

Once in Manchester the tram system will take you to Old Trafford on line B.

www.metrolink.co.uk

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Manchester train ticket

The Christmas Day and Boxing Day breaks in service are used for engineering works on railway lines. It's not just a case that companies don't want to run trains -- the lines have to be maintained at some time and it can't all be done overnight.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,320 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Manchester train ticket

You have a number of key issues with your initial idea, so I think you will have to compromise but even that is not straight forward at that abnormal time of year. You've chosen an unfortunate time for your visit and getting a train ticket is the least problematic of the issues to be resolved..

No trains on 25 & 26 Dec. Getting valid tickets for matches at ManUtd is extremely difficult unless you are prepared to buy the VIP packages from the club at their very costly prices.

That match's date and time are not yet confirmed. It might be on TV in which case the time may change and/or the date may change. We won't know for a few weeks yet.

The guided tour inside the stadium is excellent and well worth doing. You need to allow about 3+ hours actually at the stadium to do everything including the Megastore. Can't be done on a match day and best to avoid the day after a match as the tour may then not include dressing rooms. You need to pre-book the tour and choose a start-time (arrive about 45 mins before the chosen starttime)

You arrive in London on Wed 20 Dec. Whilst trains will be running they will be abnormally busy on Thur 21 and especially Fri 22 & Sat 23 as people travel for their Xmas holidays towards the end of that final week at work.

Also the period between Xmas & New Year is often used by the rail company to do major refurbishment to track & stations and that can have a "major" impact on journeys. We don't yet know what's planned for that period this year.

The cheapest tickets are called "Advance" (can be very cheap at £23 each way per adult) but they rise in price with pre-booked demand. They must be pre-booked and are inflexible once you've chosen your selected train departure time. They are not showing up for the Xmas to New Year period. Avoid Trainline, book train tickets for that journey here -

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/

Edited: 21 September 2017, 10:23
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Manchester train ticket

Thank you all for your advice. I will book Virgin train from London to Manchester and return on Dec 23. From Euston Station to Mancester Picaddilly and then change line B to Old trafford directly, correct? Need to pay for line B train? Can you suggest which website to buy the stadium tour ticket? I tried MU official website but the page is busy and need to wait for 30-60 mins. :(

BTW, is tube in London still operate on Dec 25 & 26?

Really appreciated for all your help.

Regards,

Jenny

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Reply to: London to Manchester train ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted