We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day trip in manchester

London
10 posts
Save Topic
2 day trip in manchester

hello

me and my girlfriend will be in manchester on the 25th and 26th july and we dont have many ideas for what we can do. We would like to see what manchester has to offer, we are interested in most things really and any sugestions would be great.... except old trafford as i have been there before.

also can anyone suggest where we can stay. We would like to stay somewhere central which is close to the bars but which is also not to expensive.

Thanks

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuengirola
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day trip in manchester

Hi

For hotels I would try and book a premier inn the best is the gmex, its near town hall and great for bars and restaurants, my faves nearby are:

Lime Bar

Slug n Lettuce

The Waterhouse Weatherspoons

Fave Restaurants:

El eincons spanish tapas

Piccolinos Italian

Choperarya Thai

Negresco

On deansgate which is not far, try living room, label bar, cafe rouge for drinks.

Premier Inn portland st is also very central, that one is near china town, and also near to the main shopping bit.

Premier Inn Men Arena is located near the Men Arena and also a stones though away from the printworks for great bars, restaurants, like hardrock cafe, tiger tiger, and a huge cinema, deansgate as mentioned above is 2 mins away, and located also near to harvey nics, selfridges and the refurbished arndale.

Try and get on the big wheel located near harvey nics.

Visit the urbis

Manchester museuem is still holding that dead bodie exihibtion, cant remember what is called, but its supposed to be interesting.

If you want to venture out, go shopping at the trafford centre, get on the 250 bus from piccadilly bus station, its massive, and has some nice places to eat and drink, there is also the new chill E factore skiing place its brill, and a great day out, further on into altrincham town centre, is the new ice rink, get the metro link from anywhere in manchester to altrincham last stop and its located behind the bus station.

Enjoy whatever you choose manchester is great..

manchester
Level Contributor
121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day trip in manchester

Pretty comprehensive answer, I would also recomend the Northern Quarter with loads of little independant shops and bars, Trof, Walrus, Odd (bar of the year in Manchester) Socio Rehab.

I would however never recomend the Trafford Centre. It has nothing you can't find in Manchester and I think it is a pretty soul less place.

There are also a couple of pubs near Harvey knicks if the weather is fine.

If it is nice on the Saturday go to the extreme end of Deansgate (ask for Deansgate Station, near the Hilton Hotel) here you will find Deansgate Locks which isn't for everyone but is allways busy on a Saturday night. In the day go to Duke's 92 for a bit of Industrial rev atmosphere sat by the canal

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
635 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day trip in manchester

sorry kazz, but i do think recommending lime bar and slug and lettuce to a londoner, is a bit like suggesting an american tries mcdonalds for a burger!

deffo go along with chaophraya though. best thai nosebag i've had outside of bangkok, without a doubt.

4. Re: 2 day trip in manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 03:19