We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Good Indian near Picadilly station?

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
4 posts
Save Topic
A Good Indian near Picadilly station?

Hi,

I'm looking for a good authentic Indian restaurant near Picadilly Station. I've been looking at the top restaurants listing but it's not easy when you don't know the area very well.

Also a few comments about places are that they are more canteen/buffet places, but I'm looking for a fairly nice place as it's for someone's birthday.

Can anyone suggest a good option?

Is there anywhere I should avoid?

And the 'curry mile' - where is this or is it too far out (I don't have a car!)

Many thanks for any advice!

GB
Level Contributor
151 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Good Indian near Picadilly station?

Hi there - my recommendation would be to get a bus from Piccadilly Gardens which goes to Rusholme (where the curry mile is). The road is Wilmslow Road and most of the buses going to Didsbury/Fallowfield, etc will go down there. There are other threads on here with recommendations for specific restaurants in Rusholme. Alternatively, walk to Liverpool Road (near the Museum of Science and Industry) to Akhbars which has had some very good reviews.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
632 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Good Indian near Picadilly station?

i don't think there are any, to be honest!

rusholme is pretty easy to get to. if you walked to piccadilly gardens you could catch a bus there. i know the 41 goes there but there will be others.

alternatively there is 'karims' in spring gardens but, no alcohol allowed. may not bother you, i don't know.

there is 'rajdoot' in albert square but reviews aren't always too clever.

'akbars' in castlefield may be your best bet. not been myself yet but people i know who have, think it's great.

http://www.akbars.co.uk/

Manchester
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Good Indian near Picadilly station?

Hi, I would also recommend going out to the Curry Mile. Any of the West or East Didsbury buses (found at the bus station just a couple of minutes from the train station) will take you there (and you'll know when you get there!). Al Nawaz ia always a good bet. If you don't fancy the treak (20-30 mins) a taxi would take half the time and cost about £10.

There's also a really good little place in West Didsbury called the Great Katmandu. It's slightly further (probably about £13 by cab) but worth the ride. Not the most exciting of interiors (a bit like someones front room) but very good food.

Edinburgh
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A Good Indian near Picadilly station?

Thank you so much everyone for really helpful suggestions. Looks like curry mile or Akbars are the most popular.

Much appreciated - looking forward to a nice evening!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Good Indian near Picadilly station?

The very nearest restaurant is probably Ashoka on Portland Street which is perfectly decent but nothing extra special.

East-Z-East is also pretty close in a difficult to find way. It's down past the gay village and Umist. There are now two East-Z-Easts and this is the original and, in my opinion, the best. To my mind it's probably the best Indian restaurant food in Manchester. Probably best to book (but you'll still end up waiting!). Better than Akbar's but I know others disagree.

Rusholme is great and is an event in itself. People enjoy wandering up and down and deciding which restaurant to go to. Many are pretty similar and some of the best food is in the cheap kebab places (Saajan being my favourite) that do 'normal' curries as well as kebabs or in the many Middle-Eastern places that have sprung up recently.

But, you also mentioned the canteen places. There are about half-a-dozen or so cafes very near Piccadilly Station in the Northern Quarter. Most only open during the day and are dirt cheap. They're also superb. The two closest are probably Kebabish and then there's one on Back Piccadilly that's very narrow that I can't remember the name of. That does the best naan bread ever. There are then a few more further along Thomas Street around some great bars and other posher restaurants (but no Indian ones). None of these places are in-any-way romantic but the food can be great. My personal favourite is Kabana's.

You also mention buffets...there is only one all-you-can-eat in the city centre that I know of (and none in Rusholme, unless I'm mistaken) called the Grand Halal Buffet which is near the gay village opposite O'Sheas pub. Never been so no idea on quality. Loads of Chinese buffets around there as well (in fact, it's above the No 1 Chinese buffet...they may even be linked).

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Good Indian near Picadilly station?

Shimla Pinks is a good authentic but modern indian restaurant, easily walkable in about 10-15 mins from Picadilly train station. good service, good atmosphere and great food.

www.shimlapinksmanchester.com

Akbars is nice but can feel a bit rushed and more of a bums on seats kinda place.

I have yet to find a decent indian on the curry mile, however its cheap and cheerful!!

Let us know what you decide on!

Manchester
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A Good Indian near Picadilly station?

NFMac pretty much nailed this, EastZEast is your best bet. 5 mins walk from Picadilly it's a very decent place - the only Indian restaurant to win the Restaurant of the Year award in the Manchester Food and Drink Festival Awards.

It's not too bad to find. Head down Whitworth St (the road on the right hand side of the Bull's Head pub opposite the taxi rank at the back of the station) and carry on till you hit the traffic lights at Princess St. Turn left, and it's two mins walk just past the railway viaduct underneath the Ibis hotel.

Rusholme is a great experience but I promise you it is barely worth travelling to for the food. You only really get the best of this place at night when all the neon is lit up. I certainly wouldn't trek out of my way for it.

The other city centre places - Akbars, Shimla Pinks etc are all fine but not worth travelling for when you have better options nearer.

The other approach is to hit the curry cafes, a subject I have waxed lyrical on elsewhere on the board. Essentially they are like Pakistani greasy spoon cafes - cheap, cheerful and a little bit scruffy, with fixed formica tables and bain-marie serveries. The food though is authentic, cheap and tasty.

I can give some detail and directions if this approach to curry dining takes you fancy but two good ones within minutes of Picaddilly are the Mahabra on Back Picadilly and the Kebabish of Hilton Street.

Cheers

Thom

8. Re: A Good Indian near Picadilly station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 14:19