We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is the trafford center in manchester city center

Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
is the trafford center in manchester city center

id like to know where to shop if weather is fine staying in airport hotel weekend so where s the best place to head for dont want posh shps just usual debenhams dorthy perks m&s bhs etcanyone help please

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
641 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is the trafford center in manchester city center

the 'traffic' or 'tragic' centre is not in the city centre. of the shops you have mentioned you will find that they're all much bigger in manchester.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is the trafford center in manchester city center

Esp if dry; agree come to Manchester centre. Suggest train from airport; much easier. MUCH cheaper and better food in the city than at Trafford.

Mentioned in this post
Trafford
Trafford
Greater Manchester, UK
Manchester
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: is the trafford center in manchester city center

Personally I hate out of town shopping, and the Americanised, anodyne, sanitised, soul-less and stimulus-free style of shopping and living it represents.

That said, as someone with kids, I appreciate that the convinience of weather-proof shopping with plenty of parking is a deal-breaker in certain circumstances.

And, it has to be said, as out of town "malls" go The Trafford Centre is fairly impressive and hugely successful.

But, depending on what your priorities are, I would go for the city centre every single time. The breadth and scale and variety of shops you will find is excellent, and when it comes to eating and drinking you've got an amazing set of bars and restaurants just asked to be lazed around in whilst you sip a coffee or a glass of wine, shopping bags festooned around your feet.

Also you get to see the sights and walk the streets and get something of a feel for the fine city of Manchester which you are visiting. A mall could be anywhere. In the world.

I'm guessing parking isn't an issue as you're carless if you're at an airport hotel? If so you can taxi to the Trafford Centre and although the city centre would cost more don't even consider a cab - trains leave direct from the airport and whizz you into Manchester city centre every 15 minutes or so (and take 10-20 mins).

From your description of the style of shopping you are after I'd say the Arndale and Market St will do it for you, but do have a look around King St, St Annes Square, the Triangle and New Cathedral St too. If you're feeling a bit more adventurous do not miss the Northern Quarter.

Now THAT is what city shopping is all about. Who says retail isn't a cultural activity?

Cheers

Thom

Mentioned in this post
Trafford Centre
Trafford Centre
81 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is the trafford center in manchester city center

thanks everyone im really looking forward to coming up tomorrow and we will go to the city center cant wait cheers jags

5. Re: is the trafford center in manchester city center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 20:19