We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek Restaurants & Bouzouki By Night

wigan
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Greek Restaurants & Bouzouki By Night

Hi there,

Im wondering if anybody can recommend Greek restaurants in the City Centre (or elsewhere?).

I'm hoping to book one for our 1st wedding anniversary (we wed in Cyprus) so if needed we could push the boat out a little!

Also, looking for somewhere a little more casual where you could take a child, say when on a shopping trip.

One last thing- Anybody been to Bouzouki by night. Where abouts is it and what are your thoughts?

Many thanks!!!

Afflecks
Gift & Speciality Shops
Home
Art Galleries, Theatres, Movie Theatres
Manchester
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek Restaurants & Bouzouki By Night

They are no great Greek restaurants in Manchester. In fact there are very few decent Greek restaurants nationally.

As with Indian/Chinese restaurants (at least up to the last five years or so) and Mexican restaurants to this day English people seem to automatically believe Greek food should be as cheap and uninpsiring as possible and served in out-dated surroundings, often with "fun" entertainment thrown in.

Yes it's a peasant cuisine by tradition and is all about simplicity and lack of pretension but actually this puts more pressure on using top quality fresh ingredients and good cookery skills, not less! You cannot compromise on "simple" rustic cooking as poor quality of bad execution has nowhere to hide.

I've never been to a Greek restaurant in the UK that is a patch on what I've eaten in Greece (there's plenty of bad tourist food over there, but some incredible places too). People think that this is because they get bewitched by eating on a beach under glorious sunshine etc etc but most of the time it's not.

If you ate good Greek food in Greece it's because the fish was fresh, the veg and herbs were top quality and local, there was nothing mass-produced or processed in the dish, and the chef inherently understood the food he was cooking and how to get the absolute best out of his ingredients.

Sorry, bug-bear of mine, rant over!

So my natural inclination would to be steer you away from Greek food entirely, but I appreciate that with the wedding link it has a special connection for you.

Your options though are slim.

Bouzouki my night is, in my eyes, all that is wrong with Anglo-Greek food (as described above). The food will be passable if you're not really bothered about the food, and you can have a raucous night there getting lashed on cheap wine, but to me it is not a good restaurant and is not representative of Greek cuisine.

Dimitiris is a funny one. It's characterful (especially dining in the arcade at the back) and it is has been there for so many years some people are staunch long-term supporters but although I used to love the place I think it's standards have slipped.

It's food is ok but it's more about hearty portions of decent dishes than anything that wows or zings with authenticity. Service can be hit and miss and the menu itself has been compromised by a non-Greek influence.

You can have a good night there (and indeed many people still do) but although it's the best of the city centre I still don't think it does Greek food the justice it deserves.

Where food is concerned you'd be best taking yourself off to the student enclave of Fallowfield, where Kosmos has been a critics favourite (and Good Food Guide regular) for many years.

City Life restaurant guide reckon it's the best Greek food in the city, service is nice and although the surroundings aren't wonderful they are nothing if not cozy.

I think it's the best place in town for Greek food, but of course you have to worry about getting there and back and you don't have the immediate delights of the city centre on your doorstep for pre/post-dinner drinks.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Thom

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,211 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek Restaurants & Bouzouki By Night

Bouzouki by Night - OK for hen nights, work do's, group nights out etc. Kosmos in Fallowfield probably the best food. Avoid Greek Taverna in Mossley (nr Ashton). There is a place in Sale I cannot remember name of - OK, but sitting looking out at the main road is not a greek atmosphere. Have been to all these with greek class groups & had some enjoyable evenings, but probably would not bother otherwise - rather save my appetite for the real thing in Greece. For anyone who has never been to Greece they are all OK-ish. (Bit like Chinese restaurants here - since I went to China they are just not the same!) I think Greek cuisine does not travel well to UK - wrong weather, wrong ingredients.

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
80 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek Restaurants & Bouzouki By Night

I went to BBN on a work do. It was terrible. I would avoid as the other contributors have said.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek Restaurants & Bouzouki By Night

Agree with most of the above. Kosmos is very good (if a little dated) and is actually Greek-Cypriot so very close to your wedding place.

Anyway...I know there's a big difference in nations but - to me - Turkish food is almost identical. The Topkapi on Deansgate is excellent food. It's not posh but the food is superb. Not far away is Cafe Istanbul which is much fancier (decor wise) and very tsaty, but, I still prefer the Topkapi.

And...I know you're after somewhere different but my two boys have loved Topkapi over the years. We go pretty regularly on Saturday lunch.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek Restaurants & Bouzouki By Night

I've always enjoyed Dimitris whenever I've been. Good relaxed atmosphere and the choice of main meals or tapas gives you plenty of options. Always found it good value for money aswell.

Personally I'd stear clear of Bouzouki by Night.

Manchester
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek Restaurants & Bouzouki By Night

Stevemcr, I take your point and I always used to like Dimitri's but personally I think they've overstretched themselves and I about any Greek restaurant which advertises "tapas" instead of mezze.

If you want tapas - cheep, cheerful but very tasty and served in a place with a fantastic atmosphere - they pop to Rafa's El Rincon just up the road. You'll feel like you're in a Valencian backstreet.

Cheers

Thom

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greek Restaurants & Bouzouki By Night

Thom,

Only been to El Rincon a couple of times but got to agree. Fantastic place.

For the original poster, if you're looking for a quick Greek snack whilst out shopping the Arndale Market food hall has a great little cheap and cheerful Greek takeaway with a seating area, doing gyros, meatballs, stuffed vine leaves, stifado etc

8. Re: Greek Restaurants & Bouzouki By Night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 02:19