We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying to heathrow

farnworth
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
flying to heathrow

going to the usa via heathrow from manchester. as anyone done this kind of trip, do you have to collect your bags at heathrow and check them in again form an internal flight to an international flight, any info would be helpful. cheers

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: flying to heathrow

Depends on who you are flying with and if you are doing under one ticket or two.

Normally you should be able to check luggage all the way through

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,436 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying to heathrow

I once flew from Manchester to New York via Heathrow on BA and did not have to claim and recheck my bags at Heathrow. They had been checked all the way through to NY by BA in Manchester.

However, as the previous poster pointed out, if you have two tickets (that is, one for Manchester to London and a separate one for London-US) then you may have to reclaim your bags at Healthrow. Generally, when all your flight segments are on one ticket (even though they may be on different airlines), they will usually be checked all the way through.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying to heathrow

I've done that kind of trip a few times (Manchester via Heathrow to Toronto). Once I didn't even get off the plane. It landed in Heathrow, some people got on/off, then it took off again. Obviously I didn't have to collect the luggage then.

Assuming you mean 2 seperate flights, when you check-in in Manchester, if you get 2 boarding passes (ie one for the flight from manchester and one for the flight from heathrow) you definitely won't have to re-check your bags.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying to heathrow

I have done this (Manchester to Heathrow to USA) with BA approximately four years ago and I don’t wish to worry you but I asked at check in if I would need to check my luggage in again. I was told I wouldn’t need to but a friendly check-in guy recommended me collecting my luggage and re-checking it in again at Heathrow due to the large amount of luggage that goes missing.

I don’t mind being corrected here but since the fiasco of Terminal 5 (Heathrow) last year and the amount of luggage that went missing I really don’t know if things have improved (I suspect not).

This forum is for you to hear advice and form your own opinion. If I was you, and I had the time, I would prefer to collect my luggage at Heathrow and re-check it in again as then there is less chance of your luggage going missing but there again everyone's different :- )

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying to heathrow

I have do this trip many times and very recently, and would expect that your ticket would be straight through and therfore your luggage will be.

As for loosing the luggage, it does not matter if you collect the luggage at Heathrow or not, what causes the luggage to go missing is the time it takes to get across from the domestic to the international flight and if the time is too tight your luggage will not make it across and trying to collect it will not speed it up and you will probably mis your flight.

You dont say how long yoy are going for, but the best advice is to use a carry on if the trip is only a few days and if not book your luggage strait through.

farnworth
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying to heathrow

thanks for info. going to sanfransico for 3nts then onto las vegas for 4nts then onto hawaii for8nts all with the same airline, cheers

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying to heathrow

I flew Manchester to SF via Heathrow last summer with BA. Checked bags in at Manchester straight through to SF, no problems.

You may have a problem if you want to buy duty free alcohol on the way back though. You can't take liquids over 100mls in the cabin and as your baggage will be checked straight through from SF to Manchester, you won't be able to put it in the hold. We didn't find that out until we got to Heathrow. We passed it over to one of the guys that takes the luggage over to the plane so he could load it on the plane but it didn't arrive in Manchester. To be fair though, BA did courier it to us the following morning at no charge to us.

8. Re: flying to heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 23:18