We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon Tea

manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon Tea

Hello

Can anyone recommend somewhere for Afternoon Tea in Manchester?

I am thinking of Midland/Lowry/Raddison/Harvey Nichols but am open to suggestions.

Has anyone experienced any of these recently?

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon Tea

Hi, I haven't personally tried any of the places you mentioned, but there was a article in The Manchester Evening News, a few days ago, reviewing places serving afternoon tea in Manchester.

They sampled each of the places on your list along with Cloud 23 at The Hilton Hotel.

Harvey Nichols received a good review and surprisingly was one of the cheapest.

If you are looking for something different, Cloud 23 would fit the bill.

Good luck!

manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon Tea

Thanks for that I have sent them an email

Manchester
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon Tea

Unless you were thinking of Manchester Confidential they did a similar piece to the MEN.

www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/index.asp…

All the usual places (mentioned above) get a write-up and the reviews seem pretty accurate. The only one they missed - rightfully picked up on in the comments section - was Harvey Nichols which gets some sterling feedback from Joe Public.

I haven't done Harvey Nichols myself though as the rather wonderful head chef there was an ex pastry chef I can believe their cakes were top notch. She's now left (to open her own patesserie, called "Macaroon") but hopefully they've maintained the standard.

I've had recent afternoon tea's at The Lowry, which was very good if pricy (though that's five star hotels for you) and also at Slatterys in Whitefield which is no good if you want city centre but as a dedicated choclatiers and cake-shop (with a cafe, shop, cookery school etc) they do a great afternoon tea.

Cheers

Thom

Cumbria
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon Tea

Hi eliseuk

We had afternoon tea at the Lowry for mother's day

it was very nice, food and staff very good would

recommend

Linda

manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon Tea

Thank-you all for the replies.

I am going to try Cloud 23 as I love the view,but can't stand the pretentiousness of it at night.

Will let you know how it goes.

x

manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon Tea

Thank-you all for the replies.

I am going to try Cloud 23 as I love the view,but can't stand the pretentiousness of it at night.

Will let you know how it goes.

x

manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon Tea

High Tea st Cloud 23 was lovely-thank you for the suggestion.

The service was great and the scones were lovely.

I am going to book again for my post graduation lunch.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Afternoon Tea

Hi, Thanks for taking the trouble to tell us how you went on, I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Good luck!

9. Re: Afternoon Tea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 19:18