We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick ups at Boots Chmist in Airport

perth western...
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Pick ups at Boots Chmist in Airport

Hi all,

I'm travelling next week from Australia to Manchester. I'm travelling with 3 kids ages 3, 6 & 9. All the car hire is sorted out but to make sure the littlest one is happy on holiday I have promised to buy him a car seat (it doesn't make that much difference between buying & hiring).

I'm flying in to Terminal 2 but the Boots Chemist that offers "order and collect" is in Terminal 1 (landside according to Boots website and airside according to the airport website).

Does anybody know if:

1. is the chemist landside or airside,

2. whether I can just wander in there and collect or am I going to need to go through security (wouldn't I need a boarding pass for that).

I've emailed Boots but they are being a bit slow getting back to me and I really need to order this car sear soon!

Manchester
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pick ups at Boots Chmist in Airport

Last year when I forgot to get my inhaler before I went away, I'm not sure what terminal I was in but it was the one that was being done up. I took my presciption into Boots and as they weren't fully stocked they never had any inhaler so one of the staff went over to the over terminal to get one for me. I'm not sure if I'd chance that with your car seat though. I've looked on Yell.com and got some phone no's for you if you want to check with them

0161 436 8640 - Airside Departures Terminal 2

0161 499 9959 - Airside No 1 Terminal 2

0161 437 4151 - Airside Terminal 3

To be honest I can't remember if any of these are before of after Passport Control. Hopefully someone else will.

Good luck

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,999 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pick ups at Boots Chmist in Airport

Re Qn 2 - you will NOT be able to get into airside and security is very tight.

Re Qn 1 - some of the confusion about location is probably because major changes have been made at the airport (terminal 1 in particular) due to increased security requirements. Many things that were previously landside are now airside. I cannot remember the exact situation regarding Boots but 'gut feeling' tells me that the airport website is probably the one to go by, unless someone else says otherwise.

perth western...
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pick ups at Boots Chmist in Airport

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just play it safe and order & collect from the Wythensahwe Boots instead :)

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Pick ups at Boots Chmist in Airport

Hi Smacn, You haven't mentioned what seat safety provision you have made for the older children. It might be worth reading this article, it gives a guide to the law.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4781511.stm

perth western...
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pick ups at Boots Chmist in Airport

I'll be buying a booster seat for the 6 yr old too. The 9 yr old now measures in at 137cm so she doesn't need one.

I just wish there was an easy way to order and collect car seats.

manchester
Level Contributor
994 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pick ups at Boots Chmist in Airport

is it not an option to take a car seat with you from oz?

perth western...
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pick ups at Boots Chmist in Airport

I didn't really want to take a car-seat with me because of the extra baggage. I'm going to have a hard enough time with 3 tired kids, the carry-on bags and 2 suitcases without having to juggle a car-seat too ;) I also don't think that the booster seat would meet EU specs (it's fine in oz but over there ... maybe not)

Plus the fact that the 6yr old doesn't currently use a car-seat so she'd need one either hired or bought once we got there.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Pick ups at Boots Chmist in Airport

Hi Smacn, There's a large retail park in Altrincham, about 4 miles from the airport. Boots, Argos, Mothercare and Toys R Us all stock car seats and they all have large branches on that park.

Halfords also have a branch on the main road opposite the park, they will fit the seat free of charge.

This map will show the park's location and opening times, zoom out and you will see how close it is to the airport.

opening-times.co.uk/services/argos-extra-alt…

Halfords, Boots and Argos all have an order and collect service.

If you log on to the Halfords and Argos sites, you can check the stock levels in their Altrincham stores.

You will need the store post codes, Argos is WA14 5GR and Halfords is WA14 5PZ.

If you need any more help let us know.

Good luck!

Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pick ups at Boots Chmist in Airport

I think the confusion comes from the recent changes at the airport. Terminal 1 has been modernised and this has closed pretty much all of the landside shopping, moved the security to the immediate left of the passage that once led from checkin to landside shopping, and massively expanded to airside shopping (in fact, security more or less empties into a shopping mall now!). So I cannot imagine there is a Boots landside in Terminal 1 any more.

Last time I flew from Terminal 3 there was still and landside Boots.

perth western...
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pick ups at Boots Chmist in Airport

I finally received a response from Boots:

"Unfortunately we do not offer a collect from store service from any of our airport branches. This is owing to strict security rules relating to deliveries to and from airport sites."

Thanks irlgeo for the info about Altrincham. That certainly gives me a few more options :)