We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub and Restaurant suggestions

Dublin
Level Contributor
101 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Pub and Restaurant suggestions

Hello folks, I'm hoping to avail of the erudite knowledge of the Tripadvisor community yet again!!

I'm going to Manchester for a Fri/Sat night shortly with my wife, probably staying at the City Inn (reviews are good).

I'm looking for a restaurant suggestion for a Fri night, possibly Italian or good hearty British food. Good pub grub would be fine also.

Also, looking for pub suggestions in the area. I'm particularly looking for any nice pubs that serve real ale with a nice relaxed atmosphere. Myself and the wife are both pushing 40 so you might bear that in mind!

Finally, I'm a big Stone Roses and Smiths fan so any pubs that would have that music vibe to them would also interest me.

Many thanks for all your advice!!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub and Restaurant suggestions

My favourite place for food & drink is Knott Bar under arches at bottom Deansgate but its a while since I've been - I think it is owned by the Marble Brewery who also have the Marble Arch on Rochdale Rd which is a classic but a short walk out of the centre. Other favourite pubs include Rain Bar (Lees beers) & Peveril of the Peak. The Wetherspoons near City Hall is also one of the better Wetherspoons as it seems to be a house conversion rather than their more usual shop conversions.

Mentioned in this post
knott bar
knott bar
140 Reviews
Manchester, UK
The Deansgate
The Deansgate
91 Reviews
Manchester, UK
The Marble Arch
The Marble Arch
386 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Rain Bar
Rain Bar
250 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub and Restaurant suggestions

As far as Italian is concerned there is San Carlo just off Deansgate where all the celebs go, but as you can probably guess it isnt cheap!

Mentioned in this post
San Carlo - Manchester
San Carlo - Manchester
4,539 Reviews
Manchester, UK
The Deansgate
The Deansgate
91 Reviews
Manchester, UK
manchester
Level Contributor
44 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub and Restaurant suggestions

The Ox on Liverpool Street is a great pub for hearty food, and it always has a number of real ales.

http://www.theox.co.uk/

You may need to book for a Friday evening.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
641 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub and Restaurant suggestions

here's an idea for you. if you want some british food i suggest one of the chophouses. sam's or mr.thomas's. you would most certainly need to book about a week in advance though. then, close by, you could wander down to corbiere's. here they have the 'best jukebox in the world', according to mick jagger (don't think it's true by the way. about mick jagger saying it, that is). you're virtually guaranteed to hear some smiths and stone roses. maybe worth checking out during the day too, if the weather's crap. you'll find it on half moon street, just off st.annes square, opposite frankie and bennys.

this site is always a good point of reference for restaurants and bars.

http://www.manchesterbars.com/

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub and Restaurant suggestions

As always the choice of restaurants / pubs is purely personnel, having looked at your profile (age) I would suggest a walk around the Northern Quarter and for a meal suggest the Angel Pub on Rochdale Road as there are some good local realale pubs i.e. the Marble Arch.

Stopping in the Northern Quarter, the Market Restaurant / The Northern Quarter Restaurant are good and for a drink the Odd bar, Waxy O’Conners or the English Lounge.

If you leave the Northern Quarter, get a taxi to Chepstow Street (about £4.00) and visit the real ale pubs Peveril of the Peak, Rain Bar, and The Britons Protection.

Whatever you do, have a good time.

Mentioned in this post
The Marble Arch
The Marble Arch
386 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Market  Restaurant
Market Restaurant
204 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Rain Bar
Rain Bar
250 Reviews
Manchester, UK
The Britons Protection Manchester
The Britons Protection...
207 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Dublin
Level Contributor
101 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub and Restaurant suggestions

Thanks for all your suggestions folks, it's very much appreciated.

It looks like I'l have to divide my "pub crawls" into two seperate nights, one around the bottom of Deansgate for Rain bar, Peverils etc (handy as I plan to go to Akbars one night) and the other around the Northern Quarter to take in the Marble Arch, Crown & Kettle etc.

Could I indulge you all once more and maybe you might suggest a good pub to round off the night that is close to the City Inn (at Picadilly Place) i.e that I can stagger to easily and quickly!!!!

Thank you all again.

Mentioned in this post
The Deansgate
The Deansgate
91 Reviews
Manchester, UK
The Marble Arch
The Marble Arch
386 Reviews
Manchester, UK
manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
641 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pub and Restaurant suggestions

the bulls head, which is pretty much opposite piccadilly station. i think it may be a traditional 11pm closing time too though, unfortunately.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pub and Restaurant suggestions

Piccolinos for me on clarence st on saturday night..cannot wait not been since new years eve...yum yum..

If you like indie type music you have fab cafe on portland st, mojos off deansgate or tv21 northern quarter.

Dublin
Level Contributor
101 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pub and Restaurant suggestions

Thank you for all your replies folks, I very much appreciate you all taking your time to post.

If I could ask a final couple of questions please?!!!

Firstly, we're in Manchester early on a Friday morning, about 8am!!! Is there a cafe in or around town that does a good "proper" breakfast? Not a hotel one at £14 per head if you know what I mean!!

Also could anyone tell me how long it would take/is it safe to walk from Peveril's to the City Inn late at night?

And finally, I see that there are tram works taking place in Manchester at the moment. Considering this, what would the best way be to get to the Trafford Centre and back from Piccadilly Station area?

Thanks again folks, very much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Trafford Centre
Trafford Centre
81 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Manchester Piccadilly Station
Manchester Piccadilly...
237 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pub and Restaurant suggestions

theres a bus that takes to directly to the trafford centre.

Peveril to City Inn is around a 15 minute walk or so.

There are some cafes at the junction of Quay St and Deansgate that do good breakfasts. The Filling Station is where I get my weekly bacon barm! There is also a cafe on John Dalton Street though I havent eaten there myself

Mentioned in this post
The Deansgate
The Deansgate
91 Reviews
Manchester, UK